Suzuki S32-2 charging system questions

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

sbaugz
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, S32-2, GT185

Suzuki S32-2 charging system questions

Post by sbaugz »

I have a 1966 Suzuki S32-2 olympian that I am rebuilding into a resto-mod type build

Nearly everything I touch on this bike is broken or needs repair. I completely rebuilt the engine using all new transmission gears because they were all shot.

Anyway- I am having trouble with the starter/ magneto unit. The starter doesn't seem to work. I was planning on eliminating the electric start anyway. I will basically disconnect the two large gauge wires that go from starter solenoid to starter unit and the other wire that goes from battery to starter unit. I also wanted to replace the old, antiquated regulator/ rectifier with a newer unit. This is where my question comes into play. Has anyone done this? The modern R/R assemblies come in the 2 and 3 wire varieties. Which will work with the S32? See attached wiring diagram. The wires in question are Red/Green, Green and Yellow as they exit the stator assembly and enter the regulator assembly at the "D", "F", and "B" terminals respectively.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Re: Suzuki S32-2 charging system questions

Post by sbaugz »

and here is a pic of how the bike currently looks.
The engine is down in the basement after the rebuild.
The wheel hubs were vapor blasted and new spokes are installed.
All the bodywork is going off to powdercoating.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

The S32 doesn’t have an alternator. It has a generator with a field coil that outputs DC.
Its like an old school car from the 1950s, but to make things more complicated the generator & starter are combined into a single device.

The S32 regulator has to deal with the dual nature of the generator/starter. That may limit the possible aftermarket choices.
But if you eliminate the starter, there should be some good aftermarket regulators that are suitable.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

sbaugz wrote:Nearly everything I touch on this bike is broken or needs repair.
That is the problem with restoration on really old bikes. It seems almost never-ending when, for each step you take forward fate seems to take you two steps backwards!
Your electrical woes remind me of an old Dolphin 2-stroke marine engine I worked on years ago. It too had a combined starter/magneto but had the added complication of running in either direction. To put the boat in reverse you had to stop the engine and restart it backwards. Not an easy system to get your head around how the wiring works.
You have the makings of a nice bike though and it sounds like you are doing a thorough job on it, so I am sure it will be great when it is done. Good luck.
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

You might want to check out your starter switch relay is functioning correctly.
Check:
1. That you have + battery voltage at the red wire.
2. That the black wire shows + battery voltage when you press the starter button. (If not, check the yellow and green wire is switching thus providing the signal to the relay to actuate).
4. The black wire has continuity to your starter/dynamo.
5. That the wires are connected to the right terminals.
6. That your casing has a good earth (check continuity between casing and battery -ve).

Let us know what your findings are. It might be handy to see the whole wiring diagram to help with further diagnosis.
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

sportston wrote:You might want to check out your starter switch relay is functioning correctly.
Check:
1. That you have + battery voltage at the red wire.
2. That the black wire shows + battery voltage when you press the starter button. (If not, check the yellow and green wire is switching thus providing the signal to the relay to actuate).
4. The black wire has continuity to your starter/dynamo.
5. That the wires are connected to the right terminals.
6. That your casing has a good earth (check continuity between casing and battery -ve).

Let us know what your findings are. It might be handy to see the whole wiring diagram to help with further diagnosis.
thanks. useful advice that I have been waiting for.
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

You're welcome. :up: