Glue for cockpit gauge break?

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

snapper33
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380

Glue for cockpit gauge break?

Post by snapper33 »

Can anyone tell me the best glue for a break on a part of the cockpit guages for a newer Yamaha TW200?

Best regards, Snapper
Everything in my life is air cooled: motorcycles, cars, boats, airplanes.
I have 1*
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Re: Glue for cockpit gauge break?

Post by sportston »

Depends what type of plastic it is and what type of damage. Some plastics work fine with superglue, others dissolve, some work better with plastic model glue or UHU. Don't use superglue on clear plastic, it can turn it cloudy. Epoxy sometimes works too but isn't always wise on high stress joints as it doesn't always grip well.
If you showed us a picture or two of the damage we might be able to give you more precise advice.
snapper33
On the street

Post by snapper33 »

yamaha_tw200_stock_speedometer_1522666888_6636ae1c.jpg
Thanks for your help. This is not my gauge, but mine is exactly like this. On the indicator light pod, there is an ear with a screw as seen in this photo between the indicator pod and speedo. This ear is broken on my pod. I have NO IDEA what type of plastic this is, or what glue would be best to repair it.

If you have knowledge, please pass it on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have 1*
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

You probably want a really good "solvent cement" model glue ("Tamiya Extra Thin Cement" should do). If that doesn't work try a good quality superglue (cyanoacrylate). Cyanoacrylate is probably not as good for torsional strength, which is why it wouldn't be my first choice.
Bear in mind that Solvent Cement is... no surprise...a solvent. It will melt the plastic joint together. Don't get a drop of it on any other plastic surface! Wipe off excess quickly and don't glue your fingers to your forehead when you make a mistake. :lol:
When using either glue, apply using a pin or toothpick, follow the maker's instructions and don't drown the joint in excess glue.
Good luck bud. :up:
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

Wait a minute..... Its for a Yamaha!!!!? :wth: :shock: In which case you'd best give up and trade it in for a Suzuki :lol:
snapper33
On the street

Post by snapper33 »

Sportston, thanks for the glue advice. I'll get some solvent cement. Yes, haha, it is a Yamaha, but I do have a GT380 as well...and a Honda, more Yamahas, a Ural, Morini, Guzzi....I have a problem, and I don't want help with that.
I have 1*
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

snapper33 wrote:Sportston, thanks for the glue advice. I'll get some solvent cement. Yes, haha, it is a Yamaha, but I do have a GT380 as well...and a Honda, more Yamahas, a Ural, Morini, Guzzi....I have a problem, and I don't want help with that.
You're welcome. Yes it does sound like you might have a problem, but so long as you get to ride some of your bikes, it is a "hobby" and not a "problem".
CFS
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GP125, GT380

Post by CFS »

You could try this product supa-fix APX4
http://www.spa-fix.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The suppliers say it will fix almost everything.and quite a few classic restorers swear by it.

Good luck
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

Assuming the break is in the part where the mounting screw goes through, use thin Superglue (Zap is best - pink label - from model shops) to wick into the break joint.
Then find / make up 2 washers that'll mount either side of the plastic 'ear', and glue these on with 24 hour epoxy glue.
You'll probably need to make a 'custom' rubber mount insert to fit once the epoxy has cured.
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Post by dollydog »

i've used this stuff on my suzuki clocks. works on the surrounds, works on sidepanels and sticks acrylic clock 'glasses' perfectly. only trouble is it takes several hours to go off and really stick, so i needed to keep things in place with elastic bands. works a treat though on hard plastic :lol:
cheers, dd.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Strong-Clear ... Swel5bhm1b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.