Grease

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

pgb123
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550

Grease

Post by pgb123 »

What do I need to know about grease? Anything? I know nothing.

Thanks!
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Re: Grease

Post by sportston »

It starred John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John. If you like musicals it was ok, but it wasn't the best I've ever seen. Though it was very popular and still is.
pgb123
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550

Post by pgb123 »

I know, grease is the word. But if I want to grease parts before installing them, I see lithium grease, synthetic grease, heavy duty grease, bearing grease, moly-infused grease, white grease, amber grease ... now I’m starting to sound like Forrest Gump.
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

But seriously....
There are lots of different types for different purposes. Many can be substituted for each other but beware that not all can.
1. Moly grease is suitable for CV joints, splines and some bearings.
2. Copper grease is used as an anti-rust grease to prevent seizure. It can be spread on the back of brake pads to help prevent squealing but is NOT for high speed bearing use or CV joints.
3. Red rubber grease is specifically for use with rubber seals. This is often used in assembly of hydraulics (Some other types of grease can cause the rubber to break down prematurely).
4. LM grease is a high melting point grease and specifically designed to work well with high speed bearings e.g. Wheel bearings. But can also have many other uses.
5. White marine grease is highly water-resistant and is very useful when working on boats, outboards and boat trailers. Though I have found many non-marine uses for it too.
6. Waterpump grease is exceedingly thick and sticky stuff. It is very useful to spread a layer of this on paper gaskets. It helps them seal and they are much easier to remove as it helps prevent them from glueing themselves to metal casings etc. It also helps hold the gasket in place while you get the bolts into housings.
7. Electrical contact grease is for....well I think you can guess. Switches and stuff like that.
8. Chain grease. Usually spray on it thickens up after spraying and penetrating.

This is by no means an exhaustive list but it covers a few of the most common ones that can be found.
If in doubt look up the grease online and see what uses it has or read what it says on the tub.
Last edited by sportston on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sportston
Expert racer

Post by sportston »

P.S. For specific jobs ask on here.
E.g. what grease can be used for headstock bearings?
Answer; LM grease, Moly grease, but I prefer to use marine white grease for this particular application.
Marine white grease is also very good for swingarm bearings.

Various threads can often be prevented from seizure using copper grease.
Though some manufacturers suggest using engine oil for lubricating cylinder head bolts, instead of grease.

Wheel bearings; use LM grease.

Chains; use good quality chainlube and/or a scottoiler. I personally like scottoilers, but not every mechanic approves of them.
Evans Ward
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT750, 72 H2 750, 84 RZ350

Post by Evans Ward »

It's got a groove..., got a meaning.
1976 Suzuki GT750 (Maui Blue), 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candytone Blue), 1984 Yamaha RZ350 (KRR- Yellow/ Black).