Oil pump lines

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Emit R Detsaw
On the street

Oil pump lines

Post by Emit R Detsaw »

My Buffalo has had a chronic oil leak for the past few months or so - fresh injector oil on the ground whereever it was parked. Anyway, after rebuilding the carbs (leaky center float valve), I decided to tear into the pump and peripherals to see if I could find the problem. Turns out the right cylinder top line had fractured at the pump where the line goes into the plastic disc under the pump. The more shocking discovery, though, was that the banjo bolt for the center cylinder (fourth one from the left) was COMPLETELY out and rolling around in the bottom of the starter cavity, thus pumping fresh injector oil to into said cavity and out the drain hole to the ground. Mystery solved, but what to do? The bike has run well and given no sign of trouble. So, my question is - does that hole go to the top of bottom end of the center cylinder, and, since the piston looks to be sound as it appears in the intake and exhaust ports, should I just repair the lines and run it, or is this a death knell that I haven't heard yet?
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

These things are over-designed but I have to admit I'm surprised it kept running :shock: I can't recall exactly where the fourth from left injection point puts its oil - perhaps other will jump in with that info. If as you say it otherwise sounds fine, then I suppose its possible that there was enough injector oil being circulated via the SRIS system, depending on how rich the setting was, that you might be OK.

If there are no other signs or indications of impending disaster, I'd be tempted to replace the oil lines, make everything tight, buy the best injector oil I can find and see what happens. 8) 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

Did a bit more checking, and I think that the fourth from left line is actually the centre piston lube, first, third and sixth are crank. This is based on the diagram in the original service manual located here on page 43. If correct, then assuming your SRIS system is working, it may have provided enough oil for the cylinders under light load conditions and you might be OK.

I'm sure others will jump in with additional comments. 8)
Ian

Buffalo-guy
To the on ramp

Post by Buffalo-guy »

Ian is most likely correct about it all.( Taught him everything he knows har, har) There was most likely sufficient residual oil available to keep your engine lubed sufficiently. The problem with the line being loose and unattached, is it would have basically been a vacuum leak as that port opens directly to your intake port, so don't ride it till it's all fixed. No point in tempting fate. If the piston didn't show any scuffing, then your probably OK to go with little drama. Your caught it quick, so you'll be all right. Cheers.
Fred
Suzuki GT 750s
Ducati 750 GTs
2007 Duc 1000 GT (the clone)
2002 V Strom 1000 (lives again)
Suzuki RE5s
CBXs (18 cylinders, 72 valves)
Emit R Detsaw
On the street

Post by Emit R Detsaw »

Yeah, I hope you're right I caught it in time. I was planning on disconnecting the SRIS but in this case it might have saved the engine - go figure. Thanks for the advice, guys.
Emit R Detsaw
On the street

Post by Emit R Detsaw »

UPDATE - since I have three spare engines, I thought a QnD fix would be to take a set of lines off one of the others and get back to riding. Well, although the lines I took off appeared intact, they (or the little o-rings sealing off the pump and disk under the pump) have proven to be faulty as well - so, I took a shotgun approach to the fix and ordered everything for the injection system (save for the pump itself) from the tank to the cylinder openings. Either this is gonna fix it, or I will take my wife's Glock and shoot the bike until it looks like a Bonnie and Clyde getaway vehicle.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

Sounds like a plan :D :D I buy the sealing washers (part number 09168-06002) in bulk - they are just an aluminium sealing washer out of the Spaenaur catalogue and average out to about $0.15 ea instead of the $0.75 ea that Suzuki wants for them. 8) 8)
Ian

Emit R Detsaw
On the street

Post by Emit R Detsaw »

HELP!!! I've read on this forum that the injector lines are still available but cannot find the thread. My smiling Suzuki dealer stated they are discontinued. Please someone direct me to the thread that discusses their availability (or lack thereof). If they are indeed discontinued I am screwed.
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP

They are not available - PM me your address and I'll see if I can get you one for the cost of postage. 8)
Ian

Emit R Detsaw
On the street

Post by Emit R Detsaw »

FIXED!!! new sealing washers and o-rings from Mr. Suzuki. Replacement lines apparently not damaged as previously thought. OJB, thanks for the offer of assistance.