T500 - Just got my crank rebuilt

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Frank
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, GT550 (electric conversion), Hayabusa

T500 - Just got my crank rebuilt

Post by Frank »

...at GRC (Gardiner Racing Concepts.) Stanley has been doing cranks and other engine work for years (he has a picture of Eric's bike on the wall that Eric sent him a while back) and has spent a fair amount of time on race tracks. Aside from new seals and o-rings, I ended up replacing all the big-end rollers for the rods. I learned last year that GRC is just about 30 miles from me so I dropped the crank off 2 weeks ago, Stan pressed it apart and we inspected the bits. I went out there this morning with the rollers and Stan cleaned everything up and put it back together and let me use his parts washer to clean the cases from my '71 parts motor. (They were the grungiest cases I've ever seen :) so it was very much appreciated!)

I just took the transmission and kick starter out of the cases yesterday so hopefully I'll have this thing back together soon (without having to lose all kinds of time trying to remember exactly how everything goes back together.)

My cylinders are bored to the 1st oversize and my machine shop guy had to order a micro-hone to finish the job. He's also in the process of moving his shop so that job is taking longer than I thought it might. I'm promised the cylinders sometime this week though. Progress is good!
MikeH1A
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by MikeH1A »

Don't you just love it when a good plan starts coming together? Keep at it, the end result will be worth it.
Burt Munro + John Britten + Kim Newcombe + Ivan Mauger = Kiwi Street Cred

72 GT750J
71 TS250R
71 H1A
CJF
To the on ramp

Post by CJF »

How much did he end up charging you for the crank rebuild service?
Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
'75 T500 - Cafe Build Underway
'78 Honda CB 750 Super Sport
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

Way to go, Frank. Don't you love it when a guy with skills and knowledge is almost next door ??? +1 on the memory thing. :cry:
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer
Frank
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, GT550 (electric conversion), Hayabusa

Post by Frank »

His standard price is $100/hole. More expensive than some but well worth it for me because he's local and he does good work.
CJF
To the on ramp

Post by CJF »

That price is pretty good. I had mt GT500 crank done at Bill Bunes and it was around $225. I may look to GRC next time given the price and lower shipping cost for me. Thanks for the info.
Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
'75 T500 - Cafe Build Underway
'78 Honda CB 750 Super Sport