Stored engine - some advice...

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

pjmcburney
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T20 GT750L RE5A GSX1100S RG500G GSX-R1100N

Stored engine - some advice...

Post by pjmcburney »

Not strictly a GT, but two-stroke related nonetheless...

I'm currently in the process of building up an RZ350 engine out of the surplus stock in my shed.

I have what seems to be a decent short-motor. I have to use it because it matches the frame to make it a complete, original 350 (the 250's and 350's are identical except for the engine top-end essentially).

There is a fair amount of old oil in the crankcase of this engine (good) but it appears to be emulsified somewhat - it's pretty milky lookin' :roll: .

Question is, should I attempt to wash all the old slightly emulsified oil out (and if I do, with what?), or will it essentially burn off when I start the engine?

I'll take a couple of pics tonight...

Cheers
Paul
strainer
On the main road

Post by strainer »

delete
Last edited by strainer on Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TLRam1
Road race school

Post by TLRam1 »

I would wash with kerosene, refill with inexpensive oil, run it for a bit, dump than refill with what you want.
Terry

Maybe poker's not your game, Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest~

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 97 & 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 01 Yamaha WR250F / 03 Yamaha TTR 125L
pjmcburney
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T20 GT750L RE5A GSX1100S RG500G GSX-R1100N

Post by pjmcburney »

Thanks everyone for the input so far :wink: .

But, I think my original post may have been misleading - when I said crankcase, I actually meant beneath the cranks, not the sump/gearbox...

The residual oil that I'm talking about is two-stroke oil left over from the last time the bike was run - it appears on the cranks themselves when the engine is turned over.

So, even though it may have emulsified a bit, can it be burned away when the engine is started?

Cheers
Paul
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

I'd be inclined to wash it out and also take a good look at the crank.

Usually emulsion = water = corrosion. You don't mention how much emulsion we are talking about, but I'd want to check the bearings for pitting, and I'd also want to just take a peek at the underside of the throws to see if there is sludge. Just my two cents worth 8)
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !