Gt550 gear selection

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Hawky416
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 74 gt550

Gt550 gear selection

Post by Hawky416 »

Afternoon all, I’m currently rebuilding a gt550 I’ve had the cases vapour blasted and I’m trying to get the gear selector to work? I took pictures of it as I pulled it apart and I just can’t seem to change the gears, top crank case is still off so I have been trying different things but it all seems so stiff on the selector. Has anyone else had this trouble? Il see if I can upload some pictures any help is greatly appreciated
Hawky416
On the street

Re: Gt550 gear selection

Post by Hawky416 »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hawky416
On the street

Post by Hawky416 »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hawky416
On the street

Post by Hawky416 »

I know I haven’t got the drum holders screwed in but I did and I took them out to see if there was something wrong
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Post by dollydog »

unfortunately i haven't rebuilt a 550 gearbox for about 6 years, but, here's a few things to check. i presume you took the selector fork rods out when you had the cases vapour blasted? did you take the needle roller bearing out that the selector drum sits in? if not then it's gummed up with crud from the aquablaster media. 2. have you put one of the selector forks in the wrong way? 3. is the stopper for the shift cam [that thing with the disc and spring on it] the wrong way round? washing the needle roller out with blasts of wd40 or whatever won't work - ask me how i know :D
cheers, dd.
p.s. don't forget the thrust washer on the end of the drum either :P
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Strange that I've dismantled a few GT550s, but not 'remantled' one fully crankcase wise.
Where are you based? I've got a 'few' 550 engines that can be opened up to compare with yours. What model engine is yours? (check engine numbers here - http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/suzi/ ... engnos.htm) as there are a few differences - https://www.oldjapanesebikes.com - see gt550 field guide.
Oh, I'm near Barnsley, South Yorkshire.
And for exhausts, there's Mick Abbey - Abbeyspeed - who did these.
Suzukis on Holiday.jpg
Or here - https://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/ ... &start=210 build thread. It's still in the garage btw.......
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Hawky416
On the street

Post by Hawky416 »

Just realised I haven’t put the needle bearing back in ... it’s on order now :shock:
Thanks for all the help