GT250 only runs on choke

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Kenny11
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki gt250 B 1977

GT250 only runs on choke

Post by Kenny11 »

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, so have a 1977 gt250B and have just got it running but it will only run with the choke on, when I turn the choke off it just dies.
I've had the carbs cleaned and put new inlet rubbers on
Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks in advance
Al
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: GT250 only runs on choke

Post by GTandcbr »

Have you checked and adjusted the fuel/float levels in the carbs? The choke or enrichment circuit draws fuel from the bottom of the float bowl so when you shut it off if the fuel level is too low the pilot circuit cannot draw any petrol into the venturi. Try adjusting the fuel level see if that solves it.
Also just check the airscrews are turned out the correct amount
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
Evans Ward
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT750, 72 H2 750, 84 RZ350

Post by Evans Ward »

Also, do you know for sure that the internal brass jets in your carbs are genuine Mikuni? If you used jets from a kit, that could be suspect. Make sure the jets are the correct size AND Mikuni. It matters too whether you are using the stock airbox or individual pods with jetting.
1976 Suzuki GT750 (Maui Blue), 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candytone Blue), 1984 Yamaha RZ350 (KRR- Yellow/ Black).
Kenny11
On the street

Post by Kenny11 »

Thanks for the replys, yes the floats were set to the recomended setting and the air screws are turned out 1 1/4 turns, I haven't put new jets in the carbs, they were removed and all cleaned and put back, so I'm at a loss :(
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

Try running the bike with the airbox off next so we can eradicate that as a problem. Remove the plugs check to see are they wet or dry? When you push the choke in does the bike suddenly stop or get slower and slower? Another suggestion is remove the pilot/idle jets and look on the side there shouls be a number stamped on, are they the correct size?
Kenny11
On the street

Post by Kenny11 »

Ok, I'll try the air box thing this morning and let you know, if I can get to the garage without drowning :lol: :lol:
Kenny11
On the street

Post by Kenny11 »

So I removed the air filter and fired her up, but could only run it for a minute or so as it filled the garage up with smoke but it's still dies when the choke is pulled up. Possibly not warm enough I'll have to wait till the rain stops to do it outside
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

So its worth noting that, unlike four stroke engines, 2 strokes dont like to idle off choke when cold. The 2 stroke needs heavy enrichment to start untill the internal components become warm enough to vaporise the fuel oil mixture. Once you do go outside when its dry let the bike warm up and rev it before shutting off the choke. It is important to shut the choke off once its warmed up though :D
Just had an afterthought. Put the petcock on prime position in case its a fuel supply issue.(but dont forget to put it back after)
Kenny11
On the street

Post by Kenny11 »

So it's stopped raining at last, I made sure it was good and warm turned off the choke and spent a bit of time adjusting the tick over screws and it now ticks over ok :clap:
Still doesn't sound crisp really, but it is chucking out a fair bit of oil from the right exhaust, and when I tried to pull away there is no power, it bogs down.
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

So progress. There will be all kinds of crap in the crankcase which will clear eventually when its had a good run. Make sure the plugs are clean and gapped they may be bunged up after all your problems trying to start it. Is the petrol new? Only takes a month for it to go off.
Kenny11
On the street

Post by Kenny11 »

Yes, fuel is new, I'm going to remove the exhaust and drain out the oil that is in the silencer as there is a puddle on the garage floor this morning. Then try and find out if it's the oil pump or it's pulling oil through the crank seal.
Oh the joys of tinkering with old bikes :lol:
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GTandcbr »

The puddle of oil is more likely to be a mixture of carbon from the inside of the exhaust and water caused by consensation building up within the pipe. This is normally ejected when the bike is running normally. That why there are little drain holes at the bottom of the silencer.
I'm pretty sure from the symptoms you describe that the pilot jet or pilot jet passage and bypass are obstructed in some way. You could try turning the airscrews in the 3/4 of turn out to see if that inproves the throttle response
The best way to clean the internal passages of the pilot circuit is with an ultrasonic cleaner but if you dont have access to one simple carb cleaner sprayed in and blown out with compressed air may do the job
Kenny11
On the street

Post by Kenny11 »

So, took it up the road yesterday, And it's running better but a new problem has turned up,
With Just a small twist on the throttle the revs go right up to the red line :wth: so I have to flick the off button, and restart it.
It is not the cable jamming so I'm thinking it must be a carb problem :roll:
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Some years ago had a throttle cable with a broken wire strand that caused one of the carb slides to not return properly. The damaged cable was between the 1-to-3 cable splitter & a carb. Your wrist raises the slide & springs lowers the slide. Doesn’t take much to overpower those springs.

Hanging slides is also a problem with flange mounted carbs. Over-tightened carb mounts can warp the carb to the point the slide sticks.
73-75 GT250s have flange mounted carbs & 76-77 GT250s have spigot mounted carbs. This doesn’t apply if you have a stock 77 model. But it could if you actually have an earlier model or have early carbs on your 77 model.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
Kenny11
On the street

Post by Kenny11 »

jabcb wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:27 am Some years ago had a throttle cable with a broken wire strand that caused one of the carb slides to not return properly. The damaged cable was between the 1-to-3 cable splitter & a carb. Your wrist raises the slide & springs lowers the slide. Doesn’t take much to overpower those springs.

Hanging slides is also a problem with flange mounted carbs. Over-tightened carb mounts can warp the carb to the point the slide sticks.
73-75 GT250s have flange mounted carbs & 76-77 GT250s have spigot mounted carbs. This doesn’t apply if you have a stock 77 model. But it could if you actually have an earlier model or have early carbs on your 77 model.
The cable is good, the sliders both return ok. Carbs are rubber mounted 77s, would a sticky float do this?