Windshield Washer Fuel Hose

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

73buffalo
On the street

Windshield Washer Fuel Hose

Post by 73buffalo »

I recently picked up a 73 GT750 and most of the rubber is dry rotting. I have some windshield washer/vacuum hose laying around that is the right size. It is black rubber. Would there be any reason this would not work?
TLRam1
Road race school

Post by TLRam1 »

Are you asking if vacuum hose can be used for the fuel line?
Terry

Maybe poker's not your game, Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest~

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 97 & 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 01 Yamaha WR250F / 03 Yamaha TTR 125L
Arne
To the on ramp

Post by Arne »

If its not rated for fuel, it'll start shedding off bits of the inside and clog up your carbs.

Just pick some fuel line up from your local lawmower, dirtbike or atv shop (they might try to give you pressure rated line at the car shop, that's alright to use, but it's bulky)

Good luck! Arne
1954 Harley ST165 basket in the attic
1972 Suzuki GT750 project in the works
1981 Honda CB750-1000 driver
1982 Honda GL500 easy project
GT Tim
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GT Tim »

Arne wrote:If its not rated for fuel, it'll start shedding off bits of the inside and clog up your carbs.

Just pick some fuel line up from your local lawmower, dirtbike or atv shop (they might try to give you pressure rated line at the car shop, that's alright to use, but it's bulky)

Good luck! Arne
My local NAPA has the clear line also.
73buffalo
On the street

Post by 73buffalo »

Thanks for the replies. I will pick up the correct stuff.
jkevinlilly
My new bike is "IRIS"

Post by jkevinlilly »

Tim,
What size is the clear line that you use, so I can know what to ask for when I stop by NAPA? Sometimes I have to deal the counter idiot, instead of the guy who knows what is going on, so asking for an exact item works best.

Kevin
GT Tim
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GT Tim »

It was several years ago, I asked for neoprene line and we matched up what old line I took in...never specifically asked for a size and don't remember what he gave me. Also, it was for a CT 90 Honda, to further muddle the picture. :roll:
Wayne Meuir
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 GT750

Post by Wayne Meuir »

I bought 25 feet of Tygon fuel line from www.mfgsupply.com for about $1 per foot. It comes in several different sizes. Works great, does not get hard and brittle and if you get the right size, it does not even need clamps.
I think I bought 3/16" whic is just slightly smaller that stock size, but it stretches in place and will never leak if it is put on corectly, even without a clamp.

Wayne
Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

3/16 is considered equivalent to 5mm ID hose which is the stock Suzuki ID. Just make sure you order 3/16" ID hose (Not OD)!!!

Jim
jkevinlilly
My new bike is "IRIS"

Post by jkevinlilly »

Thanks guys
GT Tim
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GT Tim »

Looks like it may still be available by the looks of the part tag.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-P ... ccessories
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

fuel line

Post by rbond »

I have had to use tygon fuel line on a lot of weedeaters, chainsaws, and a few cycles. It will get hard, split, and leak after a couple of years. It really depends on how much heat it gets in use to affect it over time. The less heat, the longer it will stay flexible. About the best you can get at most parts houses is the black braided fuel line with clamps, unless you really need some clear line. Just my 2 cents.......(3 cents, inflation you know....)
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Polypropylene fuel line is the best thing I've used. It doesn't get hard, and is very stretchy so it seals well. True Value and Ace hardware stores, carry it up to whatever a T500 uses (I forget :oops: ), but the 3/16" stuff can be ordered from Dennis Kirk, and others.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
H2RICK
AMA Superbike
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550A, GSF1200SK6 currently

Post by H2RICK »

That stuff in the pic is probably POLYURETHANE line. I have the exact stuff in my basement with the pink tinge to it. Looks weird but it's totally hydrocarbon resistant, takes heat well and stays flexible down to -40F/C. I put a chunk on my 78 PE250 from new and it was still on there and clear and flexible when I sold be the bike in 1990/91. Ususally the easiest place to find it, at least for snowbelt folks, is in sled shops. It's been used on sleds for donkeys' years because of the low temp rating.
GT550A Mint & Original
H2A Semi-Hot Rod Built From A Basket Case
KZ650C2 Mint & Original...mostly
GSF1200SK6 Bandit...My LD Ride
Additional H2 projects In Boxes.....
MBD Sufferer