GT550 Tach Cable Delete?

Need some help? Put your question up here. Many years of experience on the board to help you get up and running.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

markc522
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Bandit 12, GT185

GT550 Tach Cable Delete?

Post by markc522 »

Project bike, Im missing the tach cable. I will likely get the bike back on the road without the factory gauges, and would like to just cap the tach at the case. Is this doable, or will I cause issues? if its possible, anyone know the thread size since I dont have the cable to go off of?

Just for fun, I have the bike running, most of the time it will fire on first kick. Pipes are rotted, so I just ordered a set of Jemco's, still needing new tires, rebuild master cyl, source stock air filters and I will be on the road.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: GT550 Tach Cable Delete?

Post by Alan H »

Some time ago when I did a resto of my 550A, I decided to fit a 'Vapor' electronic speedo/rev counter and didn't need the tacho cable. I just had a scratch around in the 'spares boxes' until I found a pneumatic fitting that screwed straight onto the tacho drive and made a stainless dome nut fit on there. Never did get the electronic tacho reliable, so eventually went back to standard.
As a suggestion, if you have an old tacho cable, just take the end off & fit a short piece of screwed rod inside - use JB weld so it stays where you put it, and a stainless dome nut on the top. Make sure there's an O ring or seal underneath as if you don't do that it'll leak clutch oil all over your engine. Don't ask how I know that!
I'll have a look on the laptop to see if there's some better pics, but 2nd pic down here might give you an idea - https://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/ ... &start=180
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: GT550 Tach Cable Delete?

Post by jabcb »

Suzuki sold a cap for the tach drive on the TS series dirt bikes. Used it on the T500 cafe build.
Part # 26445-10000
NLA but lots are available on eBay.

Don’t know if it will fit the GT550.
As Alan said, make sure to use an o-ring.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
markc522
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Bandit 12, GT185