SRIS upper grommet

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

kawonda750
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 74 gt550, 88 Yamaha FZR400, 2019 Kaw Z900RS

Re: SRIS upper grommet

Post by kawonda750 »

Yes Alan. But i am already old. Stay tuned for more dumb stuff..... :mrgreen:
kawonda750
On the main road

Post by kawonda750 »

I have the engine almost completely assembled. Just waiting on SRIS tubes to finish.
The front sprocket has a little bit of side play when tightened down and I am pretty sure it shouldn't. The bolts are tight. I put the inner locking washer over the "teeth" on the shaft and then spin it in the groove on the shaft to match up the bolt holes. I have the washer to lock down the bolt heads on next. There is a slight sideways movement of the sprocket.
Is it a bad sprocket? Or do I have something on wrong?
kawonda750
On the main road

Post by kawonda750 »

I received a new set of SRIS tubes and installed them yesterday. That had to be one of the most frustrating and trying jobs yet. The old lines seem to be a different hard exterior plastic or, were hardened by age. The new ones are a softer material almost like rubber and were very hard to thread through the lower grommet especially due to the fact that it is very difficult to get your fingers down into the hollow where the grommet lives. The last one was particularly tough because the other 2 lines were there already. I managed to eventually get the tube through the holes in the grommet and then used surgical long nosed clamps to snag the tube end and pull it up through the hole in the engine upper case.

The SRIS is a good idea but too bad they didn't make access a touch easier. Anyway, onwards and upwards. I have a strong friend coming over this afternoon to help me lift the engine off the bench and into the frame. It will only cost me a couple beer and a half bottle of scotch... Not a bad deal