Archived Posts

For those wanting to keep their bike the way the factory made them.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Robert,

You might be on a hiding to nothing - law of diminishing returns etc etc.

I was going to get my GT750 grab-bar re-chromed just recently.
Chroming being the expense that it is around these parts, and the damage that required repair on the grab-bar that I have, I thought I'd make enquiries at the Stealership as to whether I could get a brand-newie.

Turns out that not only were they in stock, they were cheaper than what it was going to cost me to get my old crappy one repaired and re-chromed.
Chromed and repaired: about AUS$130, new: AUS$105. Go figure.

Are you deadly certain you can't get them brand-new anymore in your neck of the woods?

Cheers
Paul
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

you can still get the GT750 grab/carriers.
at least if you make them it'll be cheaper post wise in the USA/Cannada etc.
I very much doub't if you can get the correct size unless its imperial might be near as dam it.
but here nobody stock the sizes that I need. eg GT750 19mm no such size but can get 20mm.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Well I've got some coats of Orange mist on and it's come out nice but it's more like copper than orange. Maybe I'll try Tims matalcast orange technique.
(I need to work out the uploading photo thing)
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

so this is why you ask this question eh.

What is the standard dia for the T500M is it 16 or 20 mm?

Grab Bar do you have a price chromed complete or just steel rewdy for chrome.

Thanks,

Rob
this is why you ask ,so that you could start making them,pinching my idea thus in turn taking my slice eh.
this is some thing that I would not do to others on this board.
I would've ask 1st if they would mind if I joined in on it etc etc.

and why did you ask how much for the front shoes when I've already told you that I wanted £10 this inc postage.

yes that'll do plus postage..£5 air mail. hows that if it cost more it won't matter..I'll have a look to night and I'll get back to you tomorrow.

I'll tell you what being that I'm a nice chap.
just give me a tenner($20) that'll do
give me your address.
I will check tomorrow. johnny

when you ask me again I thought you were trying it on to get it down thats why I put it up to £15!
anyway in view of whats happening forget it.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Rear sprockets

Post by Admin »

I posted this on another thread somewhere. I changed my rear sprocket to a 37 tooth when I was beaten off the line by an RD400 my mate owned.
That did the trick! After the change not only could I outdrag him but also the front wheel lifted off requiring a heavy lean over the bars. It does tend to render fifth gear(overdrive) a bit redundant but unless you do long highway trips you will appreciate the difference immensely. :grin:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Carb Question T500J

Post by Admin »

Restoration question.
Anyone with a 1972 T500J know the answer to this one?

My bike has what I think/hope are the right carbs, listed on Muzza's site as Mikuni VM32SC.

KNK are posting a carb for the T500J on ebay, I dont need it, but I note it is different to mine - the top cap is noticeably different. Are mine correct for the bike? Is this a cosmetic thing only and both are right? etc.

KNK pic.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0051104835

My carbs
http://www.t500j.co.uk/
Project page 3

Carbs from a T500J on Muzza's site that appear to match mine.
http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/suzi/ ... t500j2.htm

Answers on a postcarb please.

Mark
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Pinching ideas

Post by Admin »

Why are you assuming I'm looking to steal your idea / design?

Why would I start the process of making my own when someone is already making them?

Are you now telling me that you not selling me the front shoes?

If thats the case bad form, in fact I had chance to buy some on e-bay I let it go because I made a commitment to purchase them from you.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Hi,

my J-model has the same carbs than yours ...

Argo
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Re: Pinching ideas

Post by Admin »

[quote="ROBERT BAGGALEY"]Why are you assuming I'm looking to steal your idea / design?

Why would I start the process of making my own when someone is already making them?

WELL WHATS THIS THEN??????????????
I'm considering building a jig to reproduce grab bars.

It does not look that hard I would get the correct size pipe, bend & fabricate mounting points etc then have them chromed.

I know Brian Cutler sells a re-production for early Titan so how hard can it be?

{{{{{{{{{{Question will they sell if I build them? }}}}}}}}}}}as for

Rob
CERTAINLY SOUND LIKE IT TO ME.
selling them shoes to you well its tuff.
you should've thought of that before you posted above.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

yours right. my old 'J' never had rubbers on top. the choke is on the left of the bike as you sat on it.
and I wouldn't trust KNK or P Miller.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Cheers guys
Mark
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Envy Envy!

Post by Admin »

Beautiful job mate! Looks and sounds just purrfick! Today,saturday 26th April,is/was a lovely day to give it a bit of a run I reckon! ( From all reports from back 'ome that is!)
Just one thing puzzles me though,not to detract in any way, but something is puzzling with the seat....is that re-cover jobby? If so,how did you get the logo on the back? I have a re-cover that you can't tell from the original,done for 40 quid by an upholsterer but of course I had to lose the logo. I saved the original panel hoping that I could somehow use it to replicate the original but have yet to figure out how to achieve that and what sort of paint to use if I can make a decent stencil. Any ideas anyone?
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Beautiful...better than showroom... How come it sounds like an RD??? :lol:

Great job!!!!!

Tom
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Furthermore

Post by Admin »

Sounding like an RD? Haven't heard one of those for such a long time impossible to judge. A more apt question may have been,where is the smoke? The still photos suggest it was well warmed up before the pootle and also..."the red light is on".???? Mine lights up with a green 'neutral gear' light and the red light is for 'high beam on'. Nothing against RD's...they were a superb machine and probably won more 500 production amateur races than you could count. Personally,in the late seventies my mate raced a 350 while I wrenched,and I have to say that that bugger needed no attention at all,just gas it and go. We finished fifth in a 12 hour endurance at Mosport once (76?) and then rode it home back to Toronto.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Re: Envy Envy!

Post by Admin »

[quote="Suzukidad"]...
Just one thing puzzles me though,not to detract in any way, but something is puzzling with the seat....is that re-cover jobby? quote]

Good evening Suzukidad,

Well spotted that man :lol: There lies a sorry tale. I bought the seat as a NOS T500 item from someone who knew his way around the T500 as he owned an immaculate T500M ( and I really do mean a show winner). I bought a bunch of his remaining surplus NOS parts including the "alledged" T500 seat. Although I was a very wet behind the ears T500 restorer at the time I did think the seat surface should have been smooth but, what did I know. I could live with the surface texture but when I eventually got round to fitting it for real I had a bunch of trouble getting the forward mounts to seat properly. I ended up using a wood drift against the rear mounts and rubber mallet to tap the seat home, or so I thought. What I thought was a case of compressing a bit of foam was in fact a rigid seat pan chipping chunks out of the paint job :x :x :x

The obvious conclusion is that it is not a T500 seat, but I'm still trying to figure it all out as I am sure I saw a post referenceing two seat pan sizes somewhere. Who knows, but it is a part of the bike that still needs to be fully sorted.

Also had some minor trouble getting the various little bulbs to work but that was easy to fix. They all work as they should now. As for sounding like a RD, been such a while since I heard one I can't say but if pushed I'd say the RD had a "finer" timbre to it's exhaust note, not as bass as the T500.

Cheers Zunspec