Archived Posts

Getting your chassis to handle your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Doffin, what happens is that when you press fit the bushing into the swinger, it compresses it a little and it gets smaller on the ID and you have to hone/ream it out to fit. That is normal because of the soft bronze material.

Wayne
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I managed to cleanout most of the material in the swing-arm. I shot like a whole canister of grease through it, and installed, it feels fine.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Stupid Question Alert

Post by Admin »

I'm looking for a set of Lesters for a Water Buffalo, and I keep seeing them come up on eBay for H2/Z1's. Are the wheels for the H2 interchangeable with the Buffalo?

Oh, great H2/Z1 gurus, I await your wisdom. Of course, if any of you happen to have a spare set of Lesters for the Buffalo just taking up room, I'd be happy to trade some dead presidents for them.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Hey Gordon,
Sorry I missed you when you were down here at Ed's (by 20 min!). Anyway, are you looking specifically for the Lester look, or are you looking for mag wheels? The reason I ask is that I picked up a roller gs750 for the wheels to put on my M. Im pretty sure they are cheaper and easier to come by than the Lesters and the fronts should be a direct fit. I'm converting the GT to the rear disk that the GS wheel has and I dont think that will be too much of a hassle. my .02
Pete
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Thanks, Pete -- I have a set of those already. I'm sort of looking for a pair of Lesters so that I have two matched bikes. I'm cutting down to two 1975 'M' model Buffalos and an ST1300, and already have one on Lesters.

It's not a big thing; if I can't get them for a reasonable amount of money (and it's probably already too late), I can easily get along without them. Thanks for thinking of me, though.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Gordon , how much is a " reasonable amount of money " .. Dave
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Dave, I PM'ed you on what I consider 'reasonable'.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Gordon , you sure you dont want to go a liitle crazy as i have the mono shock swing arm to go with the wheels :roll: .. Dave
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Gordon, when did you get an ST1300?

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I haven't.

Yet.

I've been planning to for a while, and I rode Alan's last week at Ed's. I'm going to try to do some long distance tours in the next couple of years, and wanted something with more range and power than my beloved Buffalo. I expect I'll start looking soon, and several dealers still have unsold '07 models.

BTW, Lane, happy birthday!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Ok, Time to show my lack of education (used to read comics in math class). Is 260cc the same as 260mls??
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

MikeH1A wrote:Ok, Time to show my lack of education (used to read comics in math class). Is 260cc the same as 260mls??
here's all kinds of calculations with what you are looking for at the bottom http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/calculations.htm
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Is 260cc the same as 260mls??
All same-same, Mike. That's one of the beauties of the metric system. Of course, it helps to know the lingo......
:lol:

For those that care, a little background on why the above is so:
When metric was first adopted way back when (circa 1800 or so) certain measurement units were used.....but not all adopting countries used the same measurement names. When ISO (International Standards Organization) was formed by most countries in the world (circa 1947 or so) they adopted certain measurement units as standards for all the members.
CC's (or cubic centimetres) had been used by a lot of countries for liquid volume measurements for donkeys' years....but the problem with cc's was that it was based on a length measurement (the centimetre, which is 1/100th of a metre) which could be confusing to some people.
Sooooo......ISO adopted the millilitre (ml, for small volumes less than 1 litre) which is 1/1000th of LITRE. The litre is the standard ISO VOLUME measurement....as opposed to a length measurement as represented by the centimetre.
And that's why everyone using the ISO system of standards now uses millilitres (or, for larger volumes, litres) instead of cubic centimetres.

This can lead to silly stuff.....like the engine capacity on my KZ650 which is cast on the block as "0.652 L" which translates into point 652 of a litre...
or, as everyone else understands it, 652 cc......And "652 ml" would have REALLY confused people !!!!

All because Kawasaki wanted to show that they were/are ISO-compliant.
Some things are just better left alone, IMO.
:lol: :lol:
Last edited by Admin on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe I won't forget with your articulate story. People in the US are not always privy to the ways overseas.

Come to think of it I an not privy to the ways over here either. :lol: :P
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Very slick, Allan.....if a guy has a press to hand....and knows how to use it.
A press can be a dangerous thing at times. My dear old dad had a few scars from stuff that slipped out while in the press. The last one nearly took out his right eye.
So, for all the newbies on here, best to leave that kind of thing to the pros.
MotionPro used to offer a spring compressing tool anyone can use safely but their website doesn't show it anymore for some reason. Contact your local aftermarket parts supplier and have them check with MP and/or Progressive for availability of that kind of stuff.

Are those the shocks from your Titan, Allan ??? Did the top mounting eye not have a pin through it and the shaft ?? Or did you remove the pin before you stuck the shock in the press ??