Oil Pump GT 185

Everything you want to know about oil but were "afraid to ask"!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Eastham
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT 185, 1976

Oil Pump GT 185

Post by Eastham »

Hi
Still working my way round my GT 185 :D

But I’m a little concerned about my oil pump and if it’s working correctly, the oil level has hardly moved in the 128 miles I’ve ridden her. When I first got her she smoked as I thought she should, click on the link to she her running next to my Fizzy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tonkie93/ ... hotostream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But now hardly any smoke comes out and no black residue at the end of exhaust, so is there anyway to tell if alls well with her, I rode her on Sunday for about 20 miles without any problems.

How long would it be before she seized :wth: if the pump wasn’t working correctly?

Thanks in advance
1975 Yamaha FS1e(Fizzy)
1976 Suzuki GT 185 a

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tonkie93/
GTandcbr
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: suzuki gt 550j

Re: Oil Pump GT 185

Post by GTandcbr »

Firstly these bikes dont use a great deal of oil. Most oil goes to the crank and a little goes to the cylinder walls. Now 2 stroke oil has changed in a big way from the seventies and it doesn't smoke like it used to and burns much cleaner too. It also depends which oil you use. Straight mineral oil will probably smoke more than fully synthetic.
That oil consumption seems okay but if your worried you can loosen one of the oil line banjos briefly whilst the engine ticks over and oil should just seep out.
If no oil is going to the engine whatsoever seizure would occur fairly rapidly.
98 carb Blackbird and GT550j
GTFIZZ
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Gt185 1976 , Yamaha FS1e 1975

Re: Oil Pump GT 185

Post by GTFIZZ »

GTandcbr wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:12 am Firstly these bikes dont use a great deal of oil. Most oil goes to the crank and a little goes to the cylinder walls. Now 2 stroke oil has changed in a big way from the seventies and it doesn't smoke like it used to and burns much cleaner too. It also depends which oil you use. Straight mineral oil will probably smoke more than fully synthetic.
That oil consumption seems okay but if your worried you can loosen one of the oil line banjos briefly whilst the engine ticks over and oil should just seep out.
If no oil is going to the engine whatsoever seizure would occur fairly rapidly.
Thanks
I did reply before, but for some reason it never showed and I’ve had to re register as I couldn’t log in under Eastham for some reason, did try and get it resolved but no joy.
Anyhow my mate came round and all the settings are correct, so hopefully it was just my imagination?
Not had the weather to try her out and doesn’t look like we will for a few days yet.
Cheers