Archived Posts

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Gt500 timing and brakes

Post by Admin »

OK, according to my timing light, the first (small) mark is in the middle of the casting mark on the case. It now gets about 45 mpg in town riding, pulls good, will pull OK to 55 mph, blah, blah, blah. But it seems to ping at normal acceleration in every gear. Could this be something else (bearing) making a similar noise? Also rear brakes, got some shoes from Parts -n -more that are 30 mm wide and will barely slow it down. Got some SBS shoes that are 40 mm wide. I had to grind down the flat areas to get them to go into the drum for both sets. However the SBS fit fine on the backing plate they will not go all the way into the drum. They are supposed to fit the 500, 550, 750, and the GS400. Am I doing some wrong here also or what?
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

you still have a timing issue on that right carb. Sounds like too much advance or just timing way out of whack. Check to make sure your condenser isnt touching the point. Ive had cylinders backfire when points come loose. Recheck your gap and timing with a dial indicator and once you have it set check again with a timing light.
good luck.
-John
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

bighole wrote:you still have a timing issue on that right carb. Sounds like too much advance or just timing way out of whack. Check to make sure your condenser isnt touching the point. Ive had cylinders backfire when points come loose. Recheck your gap and timing with a dial indicator and once you have it set check again with a timing light.
good luck.
-John
Thats the plan , I have to get a dial indicator to realy get it set right . the codernsors are fine as well as the points ( i had forgotten how much fun those where)

How do you check the timing with a timing light ? can you check each cyl that way? how acurate is that method?
if that gives me a good rough idea on how it is set know I might just do that first
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Exhaust T500 problem

Post by Admin »

Hello,

On my 70 T500 my right exhaust is wet and the left side is dry. Also when I start the bike the right side expells more exhaust at idle. Then when I am on the freeway it seems to only come out the left side. Strange???

Also I can not get the left baffle out.

Any Suggestions???????????
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

A step forward today when i got in the mail the needed adapters to fit up the Yamaha R6 Throttle bodies to the Arctic Cat reed boxes . Image Image Image Image Image
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Forward Progress

Post by Admin »

Dave,

Its good to see your project moving forward again. Great images. Keep blazing the trail. Your projects gives a lot of us new ideas...
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Re: Forward Progress

Post by Admin »

water cooled wrote:Dave,

Its good to see your project moving forward again. Great images. Keep blazing the trail. Your projects gives a lot of us new ideas...
I will second that Kevin .. now to start the unreal job of combining 4 different wiring harnesses :lol:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

The wiring should be fun. It's looking great.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Chris,
Any chance you could post up a couple of pics of the Jemcos? How about the earlier question about the "swarbrick" style & retaining the side stand?
Take care,
Bryan
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I'm taking off for the weekend, but will post a few pics when I get back. Yes, I do believe the Jemco swarbrick style pipes do require that the center stand and center stand brackets be removed. I haven't mounted them up on the bike yet because I'm in the process of doing some other frame mods, but I did eye ball them up against the frame and the only way to mount them properly under the bike is to have those items removed.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Lane,

I suspect that the wiring will be quite easy as long as Dave strips out the connectors and sensors and wires it from scratch.

Setting up the fuel maps might be a touch more challenging :? baseline steady state maps will be hard enough and then add in cold/hot running and coupling in multiple injectors and transient conditions and that will be a strictly non-trivial task.

But f anyone can do it, dave can.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

TZ375 wrote:Lane,
But f anyone can do it, dave can.
Durn .. i sure wish i had your faith Richard :lol: .. Dave
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

WOW 21,590 hits .. that has to be some sort of record topic :shock:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Ahh,,, theres also Daves tech guru, his number one son Ryan, and between them both it shall be solved.
Dave im glad to hear all the pieces are coming finally into play now..does it look like Deals gap 09 will be an official outing???
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Suzsmokeyallan wrote:Ahh,,, theres also Daves tech guru, his number one son Ryan, and between them both it shall be solved.
Dave im glad to hear all the pieces are coming finally into play now..does it look like Deals gap 09 will be an official outing???
There's no telling Allan :roll: