Electric Water Pump Questions

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

The1970's
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750, GS750, TC185

Electric Water Pump Questions

Post by The1970's »

Hi all,

My water pump impeller hasn't survived the most recent teardown of my GT's engine, and the cartridge needs replacing as well. My bike is used almost exclusively for track riding and hardly ever gets any road use. So I have decided that I am going to replace it with an electric pump and I had a couple questions for the guys that are racing GT's with one:

The Davies Craig pump that I have seen used on GT's in the past has 3/4" fittings on the inlet/outlet, do you just reduce down the radiator hoses? or some other solution?

I will likely weld a block-off plate to my old pump housing and then install it with new outer O-rings, that way I can still install a factory pump into the lower case at a later date if I decide to. My plan has been to remove the oil weep hole pipe, the cross shaft, starter clutch, starter, etc. My only concern in doing so is whether or not removing these parts will have any negative effect on the oiling of the transmission gears/bearings. Anyone have experience in this?

I read through all the posts I could find and it seems all the guys drag racing GT's have ditched the radiator/pump altogether, surely someone has explored the middle ground
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: Electric Water Pump Questions

Post by Alan H »

Recon genuine ones are available from Bluesmokebaz on ebay
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
tz375
Moto GP

Re: Electric Water Pump Questions

Post by tz375 »

Audi/VW pump is more or less the same but much cheaper than D-C.

Good question about tube size. GT hoses are huge compared to a car and the pumps we buy are classified as heater or auxilliary pumps but should still be adequate. You will have to add a sleeve to adjust the size and preferable to fit a themo-switch like the early models with fans.

The cross shaft also drives the mechanical tacho, so if you have an electronic tacho, you can dump a whole load of surplus parts in there.