Almost certainly knackered GT500 engine needs TLC

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

MalkyB
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT500A 1976

Almost certainly knackered GT500 engine needs TLC

Post by MalkyB »

Hi all, I'm hoping someone here can help...

After being without a GT500 for 35 years I finally got another one. It is a pile of rust held together by scraps of chrome & paint. The guy I bought it from told me he'd used premix which I believe will kill the crankshaft bearings but....the main thing was - I got another GT500!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone recommend someone to perform a little light tune on the engine whilst at the same time giving it's internals a make-over too - preferably in South / South East England...?

Kent preferably.

The bottom of our street would be brilliant!

:)
tz375
Moto GP

Re: Almost certainly knackered GT500 engine needs TLC

Post by tz375 »

Pete O'Dell. No idea where in the UK he is but he's a lot closer than I am. :wink:
MalkyB
On the street

Post by MalkyB »

Brilliant, I’ll give him a call. Peterborough by the look of it,

Not quite the bottom of our street but closer than Birmingham I guess :)
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Titan Performance is down your way.

https://classic2strokesuzuki.weebly.com ... -shop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi MalkyB,

I had my T500 race engines tuned and prepared by Graham File Tuning. Graham is based in Hythe and although he does not carry the parts as Pete Odell does if you source the necessary bits he can put it together (he's had practice on my 2 engines :D ). He is really more oriented to race tuning/preparation than road builds as such but my very mildly tuned 34mm Carb engine made 54 bhp/43 lb/ft torque at the rear wheel (+pipes/ign/head upgrades etc.). Employing a top tuner to do your engines is not a cheap process however, you can justify it for racing but probably not for a road bike. All in all Mr Odell is the man for you I think.

Cheers Geoff
MalkyB
On the street

Post by MalkyB »

Excellent, thank you!
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

I should have mentioned that Pete is well capable of prepping the engine for more performance, up to full race builds.

Cheers Geoff
MalkyB
On the street

Post by MalkyB »

Thanks again Geoff, I appreciate your help.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Alan H wrote:Titan Performance is down your way.

https://classic2strokesuzuki.weebly.com ... -shop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I had a look at Titan performance. It looks like they have some nice stuff, but there is a considerable lack of parts on the website. E.g. standard service items like an air filter, headlight bulb, oils of any type, oil pump service kits, brake pads or shoes, clutch plates etc. are all missing. A pity it isn't a "one stop shop" as it claims. However some of the parts on there look great are no doubt nice kit to adorn one's T or GT500. Love the top yoke! Would seriously like one for a GT380!
MalkyB
On the street

Post by MalkyB »

I do like the look of most of their goodies. I did write to them a couple of weeks ago but had no reply so not sure what is going on....
titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Post by titan performance »

Hi Malky, we do get a lot of emails, and I do reply to everyone. I guess it's possible your email went into spam and got missed there....as I tend to just delete that without reading.
Anyway....glad to hear another old 500 is about to be saved, and a local one too !
Where in Kent are you?

......and Sportston....look closer....our shop is a "one stop CAFE shop"....we don't restore stock bikes, never have. All the parts we supply there are for non standard builds. We did stock all the stock stuff, but nobody ever bought it, so we stopped.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
MalkyB
On the street

Post by MalkyB »

I'm so glad you wrote - I'll pm you if that's OK - I have a wish list :)

I live near Chatham
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

titan performance wrote: ......and Sportston....look closer....our shop is a "one stop CAFE shop"....we don't restore stock bikes, never have. All the parts we supply there are for non standard builds. We did stock all the stock stuff, but nobody ever bought it, so we stopped.
Oh Lovely, maybe I'll pop in for a full English sometime. Thanks for setting me straight. I like places where you can look at bike gear and have a butty at the same time. :up:
I guess I was misled by the page that opens, "Hello and welcome to the Titan Performance service shop. This is where you will find service items for your Gt and T500s." Not a spark plug, air filter or bottle of oil in sight. Don't get me wrong, its a great shop and I love the looks of the parts you do have for sale, but there are only 7 service items, of which two are inner-tubes and item 3 is a duplication of 1 and 2. I was thinking "You know what they say, bigger is better." But I guess perhaps there aren't enough of the 500s left to keep a bigger shop in the black. Nice t-shirts though. I notice that you have started to diversify from the Suzi 500s there a little. Perhaps that is the way to go, become a Japanese 2-stroke emporium open to many marques.
What I mean to say is, keep up the good work but can we have more of it please? :D
MalkyB
On the street

Post by MalkyB »

titan performance wrote:Hi Malky, we do get a lot of emails, and I do reply to everyone. I guess it's possible your email went into spam and got missed there....as I tend to just delete that without reading.
Anyway....glad to hear another old 500 is about to be saved, and a local one too !
Where in Kent are you?
Hi guys I did send a PM but it doesn't look like it's been read yet - first time I've ever used this on any forum so not sure if it's working.

Is it possible to collect as I do have quite a wishlist to order?