Crank rebuild

Getting your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant to perform even better!

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

jaybe64
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 GT550

Crank rebuild

Post by jaybe64 »

Hi can anyone tell me where in UK can I get my crank rebuilt with mains and oilseals . I saw a post somewhere with someone asking same question about getting 380 done and a link but I can't find it now.
Craig380
Expert racer

Re: Crank rebuild

Post by Craig380 »

For a GT550? Do you need conrods too? If so, new ones are no longer available and new old stock rods are rarer than rocking horse proctologists.

A KTM rod can be used instead, but they are a little longer than Suzuki rods which needs a workaround (double base gaskets). A former poster had a crank and engine rebuild on his GT550 at a very well known rebuilder (I won't name them here) using KTM rods, and the pistons were clipping the head, requiring much diagnosis and a second rebuild, it was a LOT of faff.

Possible people to call who do 2-stroke crank rebuilds to chat about the options (others may weigh in with their additions / comments / experiences) would be Grampian Motors, PJ Engineering, Chris Applebee, Pete O'Dell.
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Several places, Grampian (very knowledgeable and professional) is up there, as is Chris Applebee (done 2 x 550 cranks and a 750 crank for me), but a new guy from the Kettle Klub (spit) has surfaced and done a 550 crank for me which looks good - he only charges for what is required, rather than 'everything' so is cheaper. His work looks excellent.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Glyn.G
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki GT380 B- Yamaha FZ1

Post by Glyn.G »

Alan H wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:38 pm Several places, Grampian (very knowledgeable and professional) is up there, as is Chris Applebee (done 2 x 550 cranks and a 750 crank for me), but a new guy from the Kettle Klub (spit) has surfaced and done a 550 crank for me which looks good - he only charges for what is required, rather than 'everything' so is cheaper. His work looks excellent.
Hi Alan,
It's been a while but I've a need to have my 380 crank rebuilt and I can see from this earlier post of yours that you mention a new guy who did your 550 crank. Do you have any information on him as he may be closer to me ( High Peak Derbyshire ) than some of the other companies.
Regards,
Glyn.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

The KKK chap did it via BluesmokeBaz on Kettle Clinic, so best to ask on there.
https://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/
It's free to join, and UK based, but please to an intro as first post or there's every chance you'll be ignored! Or some smart alec 8) will take the 'P'! :wink:
If you mention that I 'sent' you, the abuse will be less, honest.....
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Glyn.G
To the on ramp

Post by Glyn.G »

Alan H wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:29 am The KKK chap did it via BluesmokeBaz on Kettle Clinic, so best to ask on there.
https://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/
It's free to join, and UK based, but please to an intro as first post or there's every chance you'll be ignored! Or some smart alec 8) will take the 'P'! :wink:
If you mention that I 'sent' you, the abuse will be less, honest.....
Cheers Alan, Was the chap any nearer to the High Peak area ( Buxton ) than Grampian or Sep Kegworth which are both within 60 miles. Being an engineer myself I like to discuss the rebuild face to face rather than over the phone and then there's the chance of the crank going missing if I post it.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Dunno where he lives, but check your btinternet email bud.
Glyn.G
To the on ramp

Post by Glyn.G »

Alan H wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:00 am Dunno where he lives, but check your btinternet email bud.
Just checked Alan but nowt there.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Try again. I'll pm too.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Do Grampian sell lift plates to go with those KTM rods?
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

I believe so. They make a lot of their own stuff, or have them made - like the big centre bearings on the t500 which are nla.