TS185 Oil Pump Lines Help??

General discussion about Offroad two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

dan4sman
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1977 TS185

TS185 Oil Pump Lines Help??

Post by dan4sman »

Hi Everyone!

New to the forums but made an account a few weeks back and have been lurking through old posts to help me fix up my (new to me) 1977 TS185. Was hoping that someone could help me double check something that I should have taken better pictures of before taking everything apart.

Recently I noticed that the bike didn't seem to be smoking as much as it should have upon startup/running. After doing some searching online I found a post on another website going through a function test of the oil pump (was going to run premix but it seems that this system is needed to lubricate crank bearings also). I went through with the function test, cleaned all the lines, made sure everything was good to go, ect. but had taken apart the lines almost completely to get them cleaned out really well. Now that I'm going to put everything back together, I can't seem to remember which outlet from the oil pump goes to the crankcase and which goes to the cylinder!

I've gone through the internet, other forums here, videos on youtube, the manual, and nothing seems to say if it's the left banjo line (when facing the pump properly installed in the bike) that runs to the crankcase/cylinder or if it's the right banjo line that runs to the crankcase/cylinder, only that one side puts out more oil (the side that is supposed to go to the cylinder) but that's about it. If anyone has more experience with this system or has a TS185 and can take a peek at theirs and can point me in the right direction so I can get everything hooked up correctly and get her road worthy again it would be much appreciated!
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: TS185 Oil Pump Lines Help??

Post by jabcb »

Interesting little problem.

Your 77 TS185 has rebuildable oil lines. Parts diagram:
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuk ... 5/oil-pump

The 73 TS185 has a non-rebuildable oil line assembly. Parts diagram:
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuk ... 5/oil-pump

The two versions use the same oil pump. So the oil line routing for the 73 will apply to to the 77.

An eBay seller has a used 73 oil line assembly for sale.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/73-SUZUKI-TS18 ... 3454248291

Look closely at the pics to figure out the routing. If you aren’t 100% certain from the pics, then spending $28 to buy the used lines would look to be money well spent.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
dan4sman
Still in the Driveway

Post by dan4sman »

Hi again,

Thanks for the reply! I have all the parts already and they're cleaned out and ready to go, so I'm not sure buying the new lines would help me. It's mostly just hooking it back up and making sure that the proper left and right line out of the oil pump are hooked up correctly to the cylinder and crankcase respectively.

Looking at the oil pump parts diagram that you linked (the one that's just the regular old 185, not the 183, the third link) it leads me to believe that the left output from the oil pump when looking at the pump in the bike properly installed (part #15 from the oil pump that runs through the hose, to the output that include part #16, the union) would run to the cylinder and that the right side would run to the crankcase, since only the side to the crankcase is just a hose and there's nothing to thread in, as illustrated by the diagram. Perhaps someone who has one of these little guys can chime in with some additional information as well just to double check that? Would be ashame to hook it up backwards and starve out the motor because it wasn't getting enough oil.
dan4sman
Still in the Driveway

Post by dan4sman »

Anybody got one of these guys they can double check on?? Would be much appreciated.