Hi, newbie looking for some advice.

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

oddbod80
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS125x Hardtail

Hi, newbie looking for some advice.

Post by oddbod80 »

Hello all and thank you for taking the time to view my post.

After a long time not being ran, I tried to fire the engine in my 1984 TS 125 X about a week ago but am getting no spark at the spark plug.

I've tested the stator, pickup coil and ignition coil to the specs stated in the service manual and all's coming out ok.

I've checked the voltage coming from the stator on the Black/Red wire and its coming out at 75Vac. When connected to the cdi unit I seem to be getting the same 75Vac coming from the kill switch wire. The pickup coil is coming out at 4 to 5Vac and the resistance reading are fine on the ignition coil. I've also checked the resistance of the spark plug lead and thats fine (new lead) and do not have the kill switch wire connected. All connection terminals have been removed and new ones soldered on and tested for continuity, earths also checked and tested and finally have checked the pickup coil is positioned correctly to the flywheel trigger (small metal raised section).

So can only think its the cdi unit or for some reason the pickup coil not activating the cdi when pulsed????? I am completely stuck on this now and not sure what to try next.

Can anyone think of anything I have not checked????

And to top it I can't get hold of a cdi unit unless I part with £150 which is probably worth more than the bike :wink:

Does anyone know of a alternative cdi that would work on this engine????

Your help and input on this would be greatfully appreciated.

Many thanks,

Steve.