Is there some sort of main fuse???

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

ctluba
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550, V-MAX, GSXR 750

Is there some sort of main fuse???

Post by ctluba »

Hey guys,

Being a little lazy here and just asking before I look!!! :wink:

Is there a main fuse?? I started the GT550 today, fired up on the first kick as usual. I think as I was putting it in gear it completely died out. All the lights, nuetral light and everything is dead. Seems to have blown a fuse that goes to everything, no power, no lights, no start!! :cry:

Before I start digging in the headlamp bucket or under my custom seat (which takes about 20 minutes to remove) any tips???

Thanx :up: :up: :up:
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Re: Is there some sort of main fuse???

Post by jabcb »

There is one main fuse for everything. Should be under a side cover.

The wiring diagram is shown under this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
ctluba
Around the block

Post by ctluba »

thanx bro :up:
ctluba
Around the block

Post by ctluba »

So I checked the main fuse and and found it to be intact. I then pulled open the headlamp and checked the jungle of wires in there for anything unplugged or out of order. Everything looked good to go. I bolted the headlamp back together and all of a sudden the power was back!!! I guess something in the lamp was loose and I must have fixed it when I went through it briefly. It just sucks that I am not sure where the problem was and now it seems like it can happen again at any time. Oh well, hopefully it will be fine. At least if it happens again I will know where to look. :wth:
Fritz500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki TS90, TS250, T500 (4), GT750

Post by Fritz500 »

The only thing worse than a problem is one you don't really know how you solved...

I was riding along one day and a fuse blew when I was going around a corner. Half way around the corner I had decided to put the lights on and it blew a fuse. The sudden loss of power was scary.
73 GT750 Ducati - 20%
72 T500J - 95%
09 Yam XVS950A
81 Yam XV920 - cafe conversion - 90%

“Anyone who believes a perpetual motion machine is impossible has no imagination; anyone who thinks it is possible has no education.” Adam Peenum
ctluba
Around the block

Post by ctluba »

Ok electrical gurus, the gremil continues.

Fired the bike up tonight and took off for a spin. Had the lights on. Came to stop sign after about a mile and it cut out. The electrical appeared to be out again. I turned the lights off and let it sat while I pulled the headlamp apart, yes, I brought a phillips head just in case!! :lol:

As I was doing this I turned the key on and the neutral light came on. I was a little confused. I sat on the bike and the neutral light was bright and looked normal. I then turned the "Run / off" switch to "run" and the neutral light immediately faded in intensity. The bike started and I went home with no problem, just kep the lights off. When I got home and the bike was off, I again turned the key on and the neutral light came on bright. Turned the switch to the "run" position and the neutral light faded immediately. Bad battery?? Short in the switch??

Any help guys!!!

Thanx :up:
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

Are you using the kick start because of the typical GT550 starter clutch problem, or because the battery is to weak to start via electric start?

You could have a problem with the wiring and/or connectors in the headlight shell or near the headlight shell. Taking the headlight out moves those wires a bit, and could temporarily cause the problem to go away are reappear.

The neutral light could dim more that it should because of voltage drops in the wiring caused by this problem. Does it dim as much when you do the same test with the headlight apart?

Closely check the wiring in & near the headlight shell. Look for insulation that's been worn off. Look at the connectors. Look at the attachments of the wires to the connectors. With careful inspection you might be able to spot the problem.

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
ctluba
Around the block

Post by ctluba »

I use the kick start because the electric starter never worked on this bike since I bought it.

I am going to have go through and see it I can find the problem. Just thought it was wierd the way the neutral light dimmed as soon as I flipped the run switch. When the bike is driving along it seems to run normally, so I guess it must be charging. I am not very handy when it comes to eletrical stuff, guess I will have to change that!! :mrgreen:
kettle kid
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380A GT750L GT750J Z900

Post by kettle kid »

It seems to be when you, flip the run switch. That's when there's a voltage drop, hence the neutral light dimming. ( it's under load supplying power to the ignition/coils) 1st... don't flip the kill switch, leave it on...turning the kill switch on and off, in most of the causes, of non running bikes, turn the engine off/on by the key. There's an intermittent fault, in the head light, or the ignition switch, under load. It seems that something is getting, hot then braking down. That's why it works then stops, then works again.

Go down to harbour fright, and get yourself, a volt meter. and some wd40 or same as. Then check the voltage, you might have a brake in the insulation, that makes, then gets hot, then brakes, then makes. In the head light.

Unplug, some of the large plugs,(one at a time) and spray inside, (both sides) then push back together (a tight fit) you might find that there could be something not making, causing this problem, and come away in your hands?
:wth: At least you found it!! Let us know how you get on, and any, photo's of the burnt whire/s :up:
ctluba
Around the block

Post by ctluba »

I went through the headlamp and couldnt find any broken wires or anything that looked like it was grounding out. Checked to be sure all plugs were snug. I pulled the tank, tail, seat and side covers off. No broken or grounding wires anywhere. Also checked the "run / off" switch and it al looked good inside. I charged the battery overnight. Turned the key on and the neutral light was nice and bright. Turned the switch to "run" and the neutral light dimmed. Started the bike and the neutral light went to normal brightness again. Therefore I would guess that the bike is charging when running because the neutral light brightens up when it is running. Very confused here. The bike is running and I can ride it with no lights on, but something is obviously wrong. This came about very sudden. The bike has been 100% reliable until this started to happen seemingly overnight. I may have to have a real mechanic look at it. :(

I also tried the battery from my 750F just to eliminate that. It did the same thing, so it is not the battery.
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

Might be worth trying to isolate the problem by disconnecting parts of the electrical system.
Unplug everything but the ignition system & stop lamp.
One section at a time, reconnect sections & make sure it works correctly.
Just take plenty of notes before disconnecting stuff.

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
ctluba
Around the block

Post by ctluba »

Have the bike ripped apart in the garage. Gonna go through everything until I get this straightened out. :mrgreen:

I'll let ya know what I find.
ctluba
Around the block

Post by ctluba »

Ok guys,

I went throught the head lamp again and unplugged wires as I went. None of them seemed to affect the dimming neutral light after they were unplugged. I then pulled the gas tank off again. there are two main plugs under there. I unplugged the one that has all the wires going to the coils. When I turned the key on the neutral light was brite, when I threw the handle bar switch to "run" the neutral light dimmed a bit, but it dimmed much much less than when that plug was plugged in.

Does this give you guys any ideas??? Bad coils??

PS still cant find any frayed wires or anything that could be grounding out or shorting out the system. I also replaced the rectifier, voltage regulator and starter selonoid with used units off ebay.
ctluba
Around the block

Post by ctluba »

Screw it!!!!

I got so pissed because I couldnt seem to figure out what was going on. I figured I shouild look to the obvious. I brought the battery to Advanced Auto and the guy put it on a tester. He said the battery was shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had just charged it on trickle last night.

So I bought a new battery. Gonna put it on a trickle charge for 4 hours per the instructions. Hopefully this is it!! :mrgreen:
ctluba
Around the block

Post by ctluba »

Well, you can all give me a whack for this one!!! New battery, one hour rip around town, no problems. Runnin like a two smoke devil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: