GT550 ignition upgrade choices

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

datsunrides
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

GT550 ignition upgrade choices

Post by datsunrides »

So, I have been reading about the available options for GT550 electronic ignition upgrades for a while now, and am getting ready to pull the trigger on getting a system. I am looking at the following,

Newtronics SU6B
Marcel's system
Powerdyne

Newtronics and Marcel's are about the same cost, but it does not look like Marcel's pickups are individually adjustable like the Newtronics. Is this a big issue? I would only think this becomes an issue if the crank is out of phase. The Powerdyne has piqued my curiousity simply because if I were to add up the cost of say a Newtronics, new regulator/rectifier, and coil set, along with the shipping costs, the Powerdyne looks like a good value. The Powerdyne does not look to be individually adjustable, but as stated above, may not be an issue. So, in the interest of feedback, if it was your hard earned money, which way would you suggest. I'm not keen on spending more for this stuff than a few parts bikes, but in the interest of increased reliability and hopefully somewhat increased performance and simplified maintence, I am willing.

Mark
datsunrides
On the street

Re: GT550 ignition upgrade choices

Post by datsunrides »

Nobody has any input?

Mark
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I suspect the lack of responses is because we have been round that loop several times already. There are other systems that you haven't listed and in general most people who fitted an electronic ignition were happy with their choices.

There was some suggestion on another forum that perhaps the ignition timing on Newtronics changes or fluctuates, but I don't recall seeing any evidence to support that and they have a slightly different design I think.
datsunrides
On the street

Post by datsunrides »

Well, I did check all the post the search function pulled up, and I did not see a definative answer to what I was asking. I know there are other systems available, and I narrowed it down to those 3 based on what I think meets my requirement. The main thing I was trying to get feedback on was the powerdyne system, as it seems to be the best "bang for the buck" system, as I would probably need a R/R anyways and a new coil pack is probably in order also. The uprated alternator seems to be icing on the cake. If this was answered in a previous thread, I did not come across it here and would appreciate a link.

Mark
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Another consideration is installation.

With Newtronic & Marcel systems you need to mount the control unit.

With the Powerdynamo system you need to mount coils, relay & R/R.
Pic of parts: http://www.powerdynamo.biz/deu/systems/7335/pack.jpg
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Powerdynamo has another advantage and that's that it replaces the alternator and does not need any of the points drive mechanism. I have no experience with them but a couple of us were contemplating modifying Snowmobile triple units to do teh same job. Powerdynamo made that a moot point.

I'd do it. Please let us know how you get on if you go that way.
datsunrides
On the street

Post by datsunrides »

Mounting is not really an issue in my case, since the engine is being transplanted in a 83' GS750ES chassis and will need custom mounts anyways. I am thinking I will give the powerdynamo a try, since while pricey, it does seem to be the best "value", considering I plan to replace the coils and R/R anyways. Almost like getting the upgraded alt for free. I will post up the install once I pull the trigger. Still want to get the engine mounted and back running before I do that, which will hopefully be around the first of the year. Hate to spend that kind of money, then find out the motor, which has been sitting for a few years, suddenly has crank seal issues or something. :roll:

Mark
Wingspan
On the main road

Post by Wingspan »

FWIW, I've got the Powerdynamo system on my T500 and couldn't be happier with it. Shipping from Germany was fast and installation was a piece of cake. I had a bit of sticker shock when I first looked at the system, but as you say once you've added up everything that the powerdynamo unit replaces it's not a bad deal.
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

Powerdynamo looks to be a great choice for T500/T350/T250 because of their dismal alternators. The T350/T250 alternators are so weak that they don't even have voltage regulators.

Would like to see some pics of your Powerdynamo installation.

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
datsunrides
On the street

Post by datsunrides »

Wingspan wrote:FWIW, I've got the Powerdynamo system on my T500 and couldn't be happier with it. Shipping from Germany was fast and installation was a piece of cake. I had a bit of sticker shock when I first looked at the system, but as you say once you've added up everything that the powerdynamo unit replaces it's not a bad deal.
How much was the customs charge?

Mark
dingerjunkie
On the street

Post by dingerjunkie »

No need for duty charge...HVC Cycle either has them in stock or can get them...was talking to them about PowerDynamo for a 550 FrankenBike I want to build.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Most small M/C parts come in without any customs or sales tax charges. We have imported rear shocks, ignitions, barrels etc over the years without any issues.
datsunrides
On the street

Post by datsunrides »

dingerjunkie wrote:No need for duty charge...HVC Cycle either has them in stock or can get them...was talking to them about PowerDynamo for a 550 FrankenBike I want to build.
Sent them an email. I thought they only carried the Newtronic. Need to look a little better! :lol:

Mark
Wingspan
On the main road

Post by Wingspan »

jabcb wrote:Powerdynamo looks to be a great choice for T500/T350/T250 because of their dismal alternators. The T350/T250 alternators are so weak that they don't even have voltage regulators.

Would like to see some pics of your Powerdynamo installation.

Coil mount in stock location:

I don't have a clear pic of it, but my regulator is mounted above and behind the battery.

In response to the question about customs fees, none were charged.
jabcb
Moto GP

Post by jabcb »

Thanks for the pics.

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72