Ignition permanently on!?

All to do with wiring, charging or just trying to figure out whats gone wrong.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

JRD54
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1975 GT750M

Ignition permanently on!?

Post by JRD54 »

Hi guys, as the title suggests, the ignition on my 75 GT750 has become permanently 'on'. This means the neutral light is now always on and I can start the bike without putting the key in the ignition!?
Any ideas what's happened? I assume it's a problem with the switch itself, if it is, and I need to replace it, how do I get the old one out?
Thanks for any help.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Re: Ignition permanently on!?

Post by sportston »

Have you done any wiring on your bike lately? Are you sure you haven't connected anything to the wrong wire? If that is ok. Then usually to replace the ignition switch is not too hard. Unscrew the retaining ring on the top of the switch, unplug the wires from the switch and remove it. Depending on the model of the bike, the wiring may be inside the headlight surround. You may need to do some disassembly to get to it. If your ignition switch is in the clocks assembly you will need to take that apart to remove it.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: Ignition permanently on!?

Post by Alan H »

Usually the ignition wiring is in the headlamp, but if you get another switch make sure it's the same as what you're taking off. At a guess, the switch part may have detached from the key part.

It's always nice to do a quick intro before asking favours etc., just the general area where you live and a bit about your biking experience.
Welcome to the forum.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.