GT500 Road Racer Project

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

CJF
To the on ramp

GT500 Road Racer Project

Post by CJF »

I have been busy fabricating a few things on my project bike. Here is a summary and a few pics:
- tach and EGT guage mount out of 1/8th inch aluminum -cut with a jig saw, hand formed, blasted and then rubber monted to the fairing mount
- rear set mount plates from 1/4 inch aluminum - fabricated same as above. I still need to cut some holes to lighten up a bit
- Shortened rear brake cable
- mounted aluminum rear brake cable stop
- rubber mounted exhaust to rear set mounts
- bead blasted front brake caliper
- bead blasted set of '72 cylinders and heads bought on ebay
- mounted steering stablizer (no pic)
- that's it for now...plenty more to do before it's done
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/56 ... z?start=28
Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
'75 T500 - Cafe Build Underway
'78 Honda CB 750 Super Sport
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

Nice work Chris .. Dave
the older i get the faster i was
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

Looking good! You going to be ready for the school at Beaverun in June?????

Jim
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

That's gonna be a nice one! Where did you come up with the tank and fairing?
CJF
To the on ramp

Post by CJF »

diamondj wrote:Looking good! You going to be ready for the school at Beaverun in June?????

Jim
Jim...yes, that's the goal at this point. Hopefully I keep making steady progress and I'll actually make it.
Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
CJF
To the on ramp

Post by CJF »

Coyote wrote:That's gonna be a nice one! Where did you come up with the tank and fairing?
I picked up the fairing from http://www.tga.co.uk/catalog/index.php and the tank and seat from http://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/. The fairing is for a Yamaha TD, so you could probably pick one up from airtech similar but TGA has good prices even after shipping and currency conv. The fairing brackets were from mead speed in the UK and were for a Honda CR750. They fit the GT500 frame without modification to the front piece. The rear piece required a little work to fit.
Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Nice detail work. That's what really makes a bike stand out.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
CJF
To the on ramp

Post by CJF »

I've made some progress on the racer project. I'm just about ready to strip it all down for paint. Here is what I have done since the last update:

mounted the front fender
mounted the fairing screen
shaped and lightened the rear set mounting plates
fabricated a rear tank strap mount
fabricated seat mounts
painted the exhaust with high temp black and clear, polished the silencers and painted with high temp clear
shaved the triple tree instrument mounts to make for a cleaner look
fabricated new lock stops for the steering
painted the front brake disk
mounted a new clutch perch and master cylinder that i took from left over cb750 parts i had from another build.
fabricated an oil catch pan and bracket to mount it
Mounted the fork brace to make sure it fits ok..and it does
Had Bill Bune moly and ceramic coat new pistons
cleaned up the intake and exhaust ports....no change in port timing at this point. I also had Bune bore the cylinders for the new pistons.

Now, it's pretty much time to break it down, grind a few welds, prime and paint the frame. I picked up some epoxy 2 part black paint for the frame, swing arm and triple tree. After that, it's on to painting the body work and assembling the engine.

Here is a pic of the bike so far. I posted a lot of pics on webshots with some captions as well.

Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
krwalsh
Around the block

Looks good

Post by krwalsh »

Chris-

Looks good. You might consider Adel clamps for the fairing:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc ... oduct=4350

They have a rubber cushion, so they won't tear up the paint you're about to put on, and they'll isolate your fairing a bit to keep it from cracking.
Kevin R. Walsh '75 Suzuki GT-250 Cafe Racer
CJF
To the on ramp

Post by CJF »

Thanks for the tip. I did consider this before fabricating them out of some sheet aluminum. The reason was due to the length of the tab not being long enough to allow me to push the lower portion of the fearing out a bit to clear the engine covers. I wanted to create a little more space so that the fiberglass wasn't too close to a hot engine. Although i did accomplish that, I haven't solved for the aluminum brackets messing up the frame paint. I may consider these clamps again and figure out a way to extend the tabs or may stick with the ones I have and maybe mount with some thin rubber under them.
Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
krwalsh
Around the block

Adel plus an Aluminum Tab

Post by krwalsh »

For tube-to-hose we typically will put Adel - Adel if we want to , say, route a hose and hold it off of a frame member. For fairing mounts go Adel clamp to aluminum tab, with a grommet in the fairing for the bolt to the tab. This way you've isolated at the Adel clamp, and isolated at the fairing mount. If you want to spend a little money you can skip the bolt and grommet and go for 1/4 turn Dzus fasteners, which isolate by way of the spring wire, and have the nice plate on the fiberglass to keep it form getting marred up. Or, in what would be a super clean installation, you can use the cool Dzus sliding latches on the inside of the fairing, and only have the bolt head poking out the other side of the fairing.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc ... RecID=4660
Kevin R. Walsh '75 Suzuki GT-250 Cafe Racer
CJF
To the on ramp

Post by CJF »

I have the lockhart phillips rubber bushings http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/pro ... ger-street mounted for all the fairing and seat mounts which should help dampen some of the vibration. I think i will try out your suggestion to use the adel clamps with with an aluminum tab/bracket attached between the clamp and fairing to help extend it. I also like the dzus latches you suggested. Thanks for the help.
Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
CJF
To the on ramp

Conversion to GT750 dual disk

Post by CJF »

I'm thinking about converting my GT500 with the single front disk brake to the GT750 dual disk setup. Does anyone know if the width of the GT500 triple tree is the same as the GT750 triple? The top portion of the triple clamps are different is style (handle bar mounts), but I'm not sure of the width. I'd like to keep my GT500 triple tree if possible.
Chris

'76 TR500 Style Cafe
two-stroke-brit
Novice racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: gt750

Swarbrick style

Post by two-stroke-brit »

hey chris, looks like you are getting along nicely with your racer project ,i was looking at your photos and what does Swarbrick style refer to in you jemco chambers.
thanks mark
She will never be pretty but hoping she will be a fun ride.

1973 SUZUKI GT750K.=SOLD
yamaha speedtwinn 100 barn find =SOLD
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (restored)
1x 1973 kawasaki H1 (basket case) =SOLD
1982 HONDA CB900F =SOLD
1982 YAMAHA RD350LC.
1985 RZ350N
water cooled
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 Suzuki GT750

Post by water cooled »

I know the GT750 trees are 175 mm on center.