Custom GT500 project (Drøn's random question thread)

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Re: Custom GT500 project (Drøn's random question thread)

Post by titan performance »

Hi Dron.....does your bike lean over quite a long way on the side stand? The mounting brackets on the 500 tend to bend, which will make it touch the pipe. As for the end of the stand touching the pipe...I think the stand should have a round rubber bung fitted, that rests against the pipe when the stand is up. Perhaps yours has gone missing?
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
drøn
On the main road

Post by drøn »

It does lean over quite a lot, yes. I don't know how I should bend it back though. The easier solution semms for me to put a solid aluminium spacer between the bracket and the frame tab and then put some welding blobs on the stand stop to keep it from folding all the way in.
do you know if there's any aftermarket or modern(ish) replacement stand that will fit and be easier to work with?
titan performance
Expert racer

Dron, I have never come accross a replacement stand......I guess something else could be made to fit.
my own 500 has the same issue, it leans way over, until the stand mounting bolt hits the back of the pipe, and I end up putting a block under the stand to keep it sufficiently upright. I bend it back, but gradually it goes over again. I usually put the stand in the "down" position, slip a tube over the stand, and bend it inward towards the bike, until it stands up correctly. What it needs, is some bracing welding on to strengthen it. I think that if you were to space it further from the frame, and use longer mounting bolts, you will still end up with the same issue. It's not rare, one of our pal's bikes is the same as well....
drøn
On the main road

Post by drøn »

Kickstand clears the pipe now.
But the tip of the shifting shaft broke off when I tried to reinstall the lever. I'm pretty gutted now.

I have put out an advert for a replacement shaft. But is it even possible for a side walk mechanic to change it? And how do I do it?
titan performance
Expert racer

Do you mean the splined end of the gear selector shaft snapped off.......how did that happen? I have snapped them off before in an accident, but not on any other occasion.
I don't think it's difficult to replace from memory.....you need to take off the clutch cover, and possibly the clutch, but otherwise it's a fairly quick and easy repair.
drøn
On the main road

Post by drøn »

The splines were worn down so PO drilled a hole through both lever and shaft and put a bolt through to fix it. his hole was too big so the shaft was weakened enough to snap when I tightened the pinch bolt on the lever. :roll:
drøn
On the main road

Post by drøn »

titan performance wrote:I don't think it's difficult to replace from memory.....you need to take off the clutch cover, and possibly the clutch, but otherwise it's a fairly quick and easy repair.
Thanks. This means a lot. I haven't been able to find any photos or guides online so I'm a bit scared by the task. You say it's not necessary to drain and open the gearbox?
titan performance
Expert racer

You will need to drain the oil, unless you are happy to lay the bike down on it's left side. The clutch cover on the right hand side of the engine will need to be removed, and I can't remember for sure, but it may be necessary to remove the clutch to withdraw the broken shaft and insert the new one. It really isn't a difficult job.
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

I'm pretty sure the clutch prevents you from getting the shift shaft out with the clutch in place. Titan has it right though - pull the clutch cover, clutch off (we think), slide the old shift shaft out, slide the new one in.

Don't forget a scan of the service manual is here:

http://file.walagata.com/w/sundialmotos ... kiT500.pdf

Also, if you need help sourcing a shift shaft from Ebay, from a seller that won't ship outside the USA - let me know as I have no trouble freight forwarding for folks on this board.

Jim
titan performance
Expert racer

Dron.....likewise if you locate one in the UK and the seller wont send overseas....
drøn
On the main road

Post by drøn »

Thanks. both of you.
Jim, how do you feel about stating an incorrect value on a parcel? Or marking it as a return from repair.
I don't really have a problem with VAT, but the fee that my local post charges for processing the parcel is ridiculous. Even more than the value of the item itself.
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

Hey Dron,

I would not want to do anything illegal. That said - old motorcycle parts have a very subjective value and you would need to let me know the value of the part when I send it to you. :D I would ship via USPS as Fed-Ex and UPS charge a broker fee on your end.

Let me know how I can help.

Jim
drøn wrote:Thanks. both of you.
Jim, how do you feel about stating an incorrect value on a parcel? Or marking it as a return from repair.
I don't really have a problem with VAT, but the fee that my local post charges for processing the parcel is ridiculous. Even more than the value of the item itself.
elbert
On the main road

Post by elbert »

Drøn,

Theese guys specialize in freight forwarding from the US to scandinavia, I've only used them once but it worked very well.
http://jetcarrier.com/
drøn
On the main road

Post by drøn »

diamondj wrote:I would ship via USPS as Fed-Ex and UPS charge a broker fee on your end.
hmm.. that's exactly the problem I have with USPS.
drøn
On the main road

Post by drøn »

Score!
I just got a call from the 'president' of the nation classic suzuki club. He have a shaft he will sell me. It's not cheap, but it's NOS an d local so I'm happy.
Still a bit frightened about the task of changing it though. Total noob side walk mechanic here.

I'm looking at:

-Drain oil (cant warm up the engine which I think is less than ideal)
-Remove clutch cover (right side engine cover)
-Remove clutch (a big round thing - how the hell do I do that)
-Replace shifter shaft
-Repeat above steps backwards