World speed record for a GT750

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Stephendownunder
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750B

World speed record for a GT750

Post by Stephendownunder »

I’m hoping someone can tell me
, what is the world speed record for the fastest Suzuki GT 750? My best is 163mph at DLRA Speedweek Australia. Having said that I’m sure that is not the fastest 750cc GT. Please help. Thx Stephen Finn- Australia
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Re: World speed record for a GT750

Post by dollydog »

suppose on the modifications or not. highly modified gt750 like sheene at daytona? he was doing 175 mph when the tyre let go :cry: and after all a tr750 is just a modified gt750 innit? :D
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
Stephendownunder
Still in the Driveway

I’m thinking GT only not a TR… I’m sure no matter how you modify a GT it’s still not a TR, it will always be a GT with TR modifications. Having cleared that … what is the fastest recorded speed for a Suzuki GT750, including GTs modified to TR spec 750cc bikes????. Thx Stephen
joethebike
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki T20-250-350-500

Post by joethebike »

Many years ago in my road racing days my importer sponsor bought a TR 750 from Ron Grant who was over in Aust for a race series and they gave it to me to race.
Well that bike was a worn out wreck and with my father in law we stripped the engine to find the main bearing housings in the crankcase were well and truly flogged out.
So the old TR cases were taken into the sponsor’s old head mechanic and I left it with him to come up with a solution. What was returned turned out to be a set of road cases faithfully cut out as per the race cases, definitely the TR was a converted road bike.
What was not standard was the cylinder head being a casting with steep downdraft intake ports. The ignition system was a wreck so a Krober was fitted to bring back spark.
The bike was a beast to ride and fully justified the flexy flyer reputation with piddly road type calipers up front and a heavy lump to stop.
I managed a second with its first race and it promptly spat me off in the second race after which it was happily returned to the sponsor.
1972 Suzuki T350 160,000km +2 Castrol 6 Hour races
1982 Honda CX500 EC 272,700km
2005 Suzuki DL650 145,000km
Stephendownunder
Still in the Driveway

Hi joe, you must have been a hell of a rider to get a sponsored TR and to ride a place… congratulations!