my next custom- GT185 cafe racer

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

sbaugz
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, S32-2, GT185

my next custom- GT185 cafe racer

Post by sbaugz »

Figured I would start a build thread on this new bike that I am working on.
Some of you may have seen my T500 cafe and my S32-2 restoration. The S32-2 is done except I am waiting for upholstery to get done.

Here they are:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Re: my next custom- GT185 cafe racer

Post by sbaugz »

here is my latest project. It is a 1974 GT185.
I ended up getting the bike and a bunch of spares for free from a member here. He was moving out of state and wanted to get the bike to a good home.
His plan was to make a race bike for vintage class racing, The bike was missing a ton of parts and there was no title.
I was very grateful for the free bike, so I felt compelled to make it look real nice.

It was missing a seat, caliper, alot of the electrical stuff, etc. He included a couple extra forks to make it into a drum setup. I ended up sticking with disc brakes. I traded away the extra forks and wheels for vapor honing services on the engine. more on that later.

pics below show how I got the bike. He also gave me the bike stand too!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

next step was tear down and coming up with a plan for the finished project.

I always feel bad about chopping up vintage bikes. In this case, it wasn't an issue with me. The bike was in really rough shape and didn't have a title. So I started tearing it apart and planned for a cafe build.

The tank was pretty rough, so i decided against using it. I found a $80 chinese tank on ebay that looked like it would fit. The metal is super thin and I had to modify the mount significantly to make it work. I also had some NPT fittings added underneath tank for crossover tubes and a new petcock. My welder was not happy trying to weld this tank. I also mocked up the seat in cardboard. My ultimate goal was to save a little money and powder coat the tins, rather than paying a small fortune to paint. Because of that, I had to get the seat made out of metal. I found a guy on ebay who lives on the east coast who makes custom parts. He fabricated the seat out of aluminum. More on that later.
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

seat was delivered and I was extremely impressed with how it came out.
I also had a custom steel oil tank made from a guy who I have used before. Also turned out great. He made an electrics pan while he was at it.
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

next up- electronics.

I paired down the stock wiring harness after cleaning it really well in my ultrasonic cleaner. I removed all the excess wiring that was not needed. I am eliminating the horn, turn signals, all idiot lights, and all gauges. Only thing left is headlight, ignition and charging system and the taillight.

Also, notice the electronics pan mounted in the following picture. This will hold battery, regulator, and ignition switch
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

I dropped off a ton of parts at my powder coater guy. I am going for a really monotone, grey and black scheme.

The parts turned out really good. There is a slight metallic shimmer to them in the sun.
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

next up was the motor.
The previous owner had rebuilt the crank and had new pistons. He had removed the kickstarter mechanism. He stated that the motor was running at some point.

I decided to completely tear it apart again. I wanted to have a kickstarter for backup. I also wanted to make it look pretty. The crankcase covers and jugs were vapor honed. The side covers were powder coated black. The engine is all back together, looking pretty nice. I have new brushes for the starter on their way from Thailand.
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

can't wait for the higgspeed chambers to come. My plan was to use POD filters or velocity stacks. Everyone seems to think that's a bad idea. I am still kicking around the idea of using the stock airbox. It will ruin the looks of my bike, somewhat, but it was be better in the long run.

I am still interested in hearing opinions regarding jetting if I were to use PODs and chambers. Higgspeed won't even give me a jet size (probably for liability reasons). He said he will only tell me jet sizes if I use the stock airbox.

With that being said, does anyone have a stock airbox for the GT185 that they want to let go of? If so, let me know.
Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

Wow, cracking project :up:

I have a great fondness for smaller bikes these day, must come with old(er) age lol :D .

The use of pods is a tricky one. I've never tussled with them but they do seem to be an item that can provide endless hours of fun to get acceptable. Others plonk them straight on and have minimal issues. As an alternative why not look at a custom airbox. A large enough volume around the carb throat so that open carbs can be used but with filtration at a distance. Hopefully you could design an air box that is sympathetic with the rest of your design.

Cheers Geoff
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

got an update from Paul at Higgspeed. The chambers are completed and going to the polisher on monday. Shipping to me thursday.

I am trying to find a small, digital tachometer that is compatible with two cycle twins. Preference would be least obtrusive as possible, which is why I probably won't go with a cable operated tach.
Suggestions?
datsunrides
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500

Post by datsunrides »

project progressing nicely and looking good. I heard the same thing about pods but I used some UNI's on my GT550/GS750es hybrid and she runs fine. She has chambers of unknown manufacture and as best I can tell stock jetting. Little surging at small throttle openings so I may need to up the pilot a size or 2 and move the needle a notch. Of course that is a pain in the rear on the racked carbs so I have just lived with it. I'd say try it with pods and she how she runs.

sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

received my higgspeed chambers this week and got them mounted.
Definitely running into some fitment issues. The peg holder that bolts to the frame sits up tight against the chambers, so i wonder if they are bent? I picked up a spare for $20 shipped and I am waiting for that to arrive. Will try that to see if it works instead.
Other problem I ran into was if I used OEM exhaust gaskets, the rear chamber mounts don't match up with the rear frame holes. They are about 3/8" off. If I try to mount them without using gaskets, then they fit fine. Are higgspeed chambers designed to use OEM Gaskets or some silicone instead?
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

I had a similar sidestand clearance problem with the 72 GT380 cafe build.
Tried a lot of different options and went with a 1/2” aluminum spacer + modified T500 stand bracket + TS250 stand with rod welded on.
See build topic for info: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13036&start=0
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE
sbaugz
To the on ramp

Post by sbaugz »

jabcb wrote: Tried a lot of different options and went with a 1/2” aluminum spacer [/url]
I tried a couple washers to shim the footrest bracket down and that helped alot. Supposedly the new footpeg bracket is getting delivered today via fedex. If I look at mine, it does appear like maybe both pegs are bent inward so maybe this one will be better. For $20, I figured it was worth a try.
jabcb
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 69 T350 thru 75 GT750

Post by jabcb »

Took a look at the GT185 parts diagram. Wasn’t expecting the sidestand bracket to be part of the footpeg bracket.

If you raised the bike up with longer shocks and/or bigger tires, then you can use a longer sidestand. Suzuki used the same sidestand bolt on lots of bikes.
So you might be able to do as we did, and use a longer dirt bike stand.
BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) - too many bikes but have room for more

Suzuki:
GT750 2x75
GT550 72 & 75
GT380 72
T500 69 project & 73 project
T350 69 & 71
Honda 85 CB650SC & 86 CB700SC
09 Triumph Bonneville SE