GT250 Cafe project

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Damian_74
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT250L, DR650, Honda CRF1000

Re: GT250 Cafe project

Post by Damian_74 »

For the 74 GT250L that I am currently riding am having nothing but trouble with the front brakes squealing. Have cleaned everything, tried different pads, scuffed up the disc - even tried another 2nd hand disc that I had.

In desperation I decided to get the disc ground.

Tried a few different brake places and none of there machines would take the Suzuki disc. Found one friendly workshop that let me measure up their machine so that I could turn up an arbor.

http://www.a1brakes.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even tested the new sand blaster on the hub. Like new!

He had a bit of trouble with the disc chattering but the finish should be OK - and at least I now know its flat and true! When I fix the other issues on the bike I will report on the success.
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Cool! Hope it sounds better.
Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Circumstances are forcing me into a change of direction for this project.

My GT250L 1974 bike that I’ve been riding around looks like it’s done a crank seal.

Some time ago, was walking through the shed and noticed the smell of petrol, was in a rush so quickly forgot about it. A few days later I was cleaning up to go back to work (go to sea for 4 weeks at a time) and found petrol dripping from the exhaust.

DAM – I forgot to turn off the petcock!

Early GT250’s don’t have an overflow on the carburetors – fills the pots when the needle and seat leak. Short of time I pulled the plugs, slowly turned it over on the kick starter, blew it out with compressed air and squirted some oil down the bore. Got home the other week and fired it up.

Bit of smoke out the left pipe…………….”it will clear when it gets hot” I said to myself.
Rode to the local shops – still plenty of smoke from the left pipe – white smoke!
Had another grand thought – “take it out on the highway and get it properly hot – that will clear the exhaust!”
Well……….……there isn’t an exit for about 5km’s. I attempted to disappear inside my helmet from embarrassment due to the now epic smoke trail that followed me……..and then I had to do it again for another 5km’s to get home.

I suspect that the residual petrol that was sitting in the crank for the month damaged the crank seal. The center crank bearing is lubricated from the gearbox, oil level in the gearbox dropped on the small but hazy test run.

So with the rego due and the fact that I was never really happy with the restoration that was done by the previous owner, it is now parked.

So the Suzuki GT250B 1976 that I’ve been playing is now going to be a nut and bolt restoration to appease the rivet counters and the GT250L 1974 will be the Café Racer. Another contributing factor in this decision is that as ADR’s (Australian Design Rules) didn’t come into affect on motorcycles until 1975, so there might afford a few more liberties 74 that I couldn’t on the 76.

So the café project will take a little longer than originally intended – will do the resto first.
Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

So with the demise of the road going bike and this now turning into a two bike resto/Cake project, I didn't want have my bike lift permanently filled up with 70's 2 Strokes, so an alternate work bench is needed - getting too old to be working off the floor.

Left over from some house reno's (new stairs and landing) I had a length of 75x75x4mm RHS. For a bike work bench it is absolute overkill but I can't see myself having another use for it in the foreseeable future - best use it rather than constantly tripping over it.

Bunnings (local hardware warehouse for those not in Australia) had sheets of 2150x600x30mm Soft wood pine ply for $65, add some Heavy duty 100mm Casters and 20mm leveling feet from eBay, I will be all finished for under $200.

Since the new bench is of such heavy construction I may in the future turn it into a welding/fabrication bench - will just need to find a suitable top.
My current welding bench that I made several years ago (DIY Stronghand tools copy), although extremely useful is limited to smaller jobs as its only 1050x600mm.

Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

New work bench finished - completely over-engineered but happy with the result!

Even Little Miss approves!
Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Fork legs back form Rad Hard Chroming https://www.radhardchroming.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, won't say that it was cheap at $420 AUD (straighten and rechrome) but perfect job.
In comparison the new pattern fork legs that I bought for by GT250 74L were about the same after shipping - in chatting with the bloke at Rad, his reply was that his chrome will be thicker and last longer - as I can't see either bike doing 1000's and 1000's of kms and definitely not parked in the weather so I don't think it really matters.

So that took me back to my favourite job - polishing - MORE MESS!!!!!!

I thought that I would try Walnut Shells in my blast cabinet - didn't work so well continually blocking the syphon tube - tried different air pressures and nozzle sizes but nothing seemed to work. Looking on line at different sites and was thinking of fitting a metering valve in place of the syphon tube gun.......so for the interim I used glass beads. As a prep to polishing, it took out a lot of the hard work, removed the factory lacquer and cleaned all the impossible corners.

Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Working on a better dust extraction system for my blast cabinet - now have two cyclones in series fitted up with a cheap ALDI vacuum (on sale for $40 this week) . the primary stage catches 95% of the dust, the 2nd stage just has a slight dust layer - the inlet hose to the vacuum is completely clean!

I turned up some aluminium sleeves - everything just slips together and held in with clamps - no taping or gaskets needed!

Necked down the bearing area on the head-stock spindle so that I can use taper roller bearings rather than the antiquated ball bearings that Suzuki use.

So with the sandblaster back in operation - started on all the small odds and ends - blasted with crushed glass and etch primed.

Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Did about an hour blasting with the new extraction system - I might call it a success.
First stage catches just about all of it, with the 2nd stage just taking out some of the fines.
There was a slight dusting in the inside of the duct pipe into the vacuum but nothing detectable in the vacuum filter.

Joys of blasting - can see what you are getting into - if anyone has a spare Suzuki GT250 A, B or C air box about, please let me know before I spend countless hours repairing this one.

Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Picked up my frame and bits form the power coaters - $360 AUD, fairly happy with that, quality work. All the treads and bushings taped.

Like a Kid at Christmas, just had to unwrap it.

NOW WE CAN START THE FUN BIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Progress has slowed - time and money, both in short supply!

Forks rebuilt with re-chromed legs and new seals.

I'd wasted many hours on the internet attempting to find out what was correct for the bike regarding the headlight brackets and housing - Chrome vs tank colour vs painted black - gave up in the end and just powdercoated everything at the same time as the frame. When I picked up the bike it was all rusty painted black so I have to assume that is how it was delivered back in the 70's.
After many more hours on eBay I ended up finding two NOS headlight brackets and affordable prices - for some strange reason there are almost no left hand ones available - I can only assume that the bike falls on that side more often with its dodgy side stand????

Caliper sand blasted and painted with High Temp. rattle-can black. Used a rebuild kit form Cruzinimage. The piston and seals fitted perfectly but couldn't assemble the two half's with the supplied O rings on the bolts. Even after machining a gentle lead on the bushings the O rings wouldn't sit in place and ended up cutting them. Replaced the O rings with some I had in a grab kit - Viton 10mm x 1.5mm - worked perfectly!

Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Find of the year - NOS exhaust pipes..........yes that is 45 year old New Old Stock pipes!!!!

Was a fair price at $800 delivered, not cheap....but then they aren't exactly falling from trees.

Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Got the remainder of the engine bolts zinc plated so time to put the engine back together before I forget how it all went - as it is I am heavily consulting the parts manual followed by some frantic searching of all the zip lock bags stashed under the bench.

Still a long way to go but nice to see the engine in its intended home.
Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Never have I seen a set of carbies this dirty - one of them appeared to have spent some time under water. The float bowl was full of oxidation. Every port was completely blocked - I needed to run a drill bit (by hand) down every gallery.

Started with a hot wash to remove the gunge on the outside - camp cooker, small pot of water and a dishwasher tablet. worked a treat! was checking on them every few min. but in total each one was in there for about half an hour.

Then a week-ish solution of Phosphoric Acid - again checking every few min so that I didn't dissolve the base metal.

The entire process took the entire arvo - I need to find someone with an ultrasonic cleaner to try and get the remaining rubbish from the galleries.

After talking to the bloke at MikuniOz - he has NEW VM28's for about $150. With the new needles that I have bought from Suzuki, he thinks that he can supply a BRAND NEW set with jetting fairly close to OEM. If this was the Cafe Racer it would be an easy decision, but as I am doing a restro I am tossing up which way to go - NEW will obviously be easier to ride and live with (will more than likely ditch the points too) but the Rivet Counters won't like it as they look slightly different.

https://www.mikunioz.com/product-catego ... c98ba2045f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Stripping all the good bits form the recently deceased GT250 L - started with the tyres - all going to a good home.

sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Looking great. As for the carbs; I would suggest fitting new ones but keep the old ones. If you sell the bike you can give them to the new owner. That way you have the best of both worlds!