MikeD's 1974 GT-750 project

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

MikeD
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 74 GT750

Re: MikeD's 1974 GT-750 project

Post by MikeD »

tz375 wrote:On a stock street motor timing is not as critical as people might have you believe :)
and for a non street motor?
garry55
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 hybrids (x2) RGV500

Post by garry55 »

sorry to hijack your thread for a second - can someone please tell me the cost of the Accent unit? Looked on their website but couldn't find any details. Would like one for my Katana street bike project.

thanks

Garry.
Garry

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I know I can stop anytime.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Gary, Email Uwe and he will give you a current price plus shipping.
MikeD
On the main road

Post by MikeD »

no worries. $165 euros shipped, 6-8 week lead time. he has a paypal to remit via

ETA: just ordered via paypal - $182.96 USD shipped
Last edited by MikeD on Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

MikeD wrote:
tz375 wrote:On a stock street motor timing is not as critical as people might have you believe :)

With a crank rebuilt by any reputable crank guy, the phase differences will be less than 1/2 degree. If you want really accurate timing for a high performance motor I would recommend either a custom Dyna S or a 4 channel inductive system from Ignitech.

I drag race with a DYNA S and really like the fat sparks and adjustability, but it was a fair amount of work to get the backing plate correctly drilled and tapped plus you have to buy two Dyna S units to get three modules.
MikeD
On the main road

Post by MikeD »

tz375 wrote:
MikeD wrote:

With a crank rebuilt by any reputable crank guy, the phase differences will be less than 1/2 degree. If you want really accurate timing for a high performance motor I would recommend either a custom Dyna S or a 4 channel inductive system from Ignitech.

I drag race with a DYNA S and really like the fat sparks and adjustability, but it was a fair amount of work to get the backing plate correctly drilled and tapped plus you have to buy two Dyna S units to get three modules.
fair enough, thanks for the input/feedback, appreciated. Given the overall condition of the bike I'm assuming the crank is still stock right now

Jemco's and Accent ignition orders just placed. I'm spending money like I have it... <sigh>
garry55
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 hybrids (x2) RGV500

Post by garry55 »

Thanks Mike :up:

I'll contact Uwe and order one up.
Garry

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I know I can stop anytime.
MikeD
On the main road

Post by MikeD »

All Balls bearings arrived a few hours ago, off to swap the stems

MikeD
On the main road

Post by MikeD »

So the All Balls steering head bearings are in and new front end is grafted on. Removed the original steering stop. Had the lower triple with stem in the freezer during, grabbed it after about an hour and using a drift I installed the dirt seal and set the lower bearing with a drift. Then installed the top race, it nearly just dropped in. A bit of light tapping with the hammer on the supplied thick washer that I laid over the top bearing edge to seat it and it was done in about 10 seconds. I've never had one go in that easy. Bottom went in easier.

An hour or so of fiddling with fit and eyeballing things and checking the fit the filthy dirty GSXR front end was bolted up.

Had the frame up on the centerstand and some 2x4's holding the front up. Put the front end work stand back underneath the steering stem, lifted the bike, pulled the 2x's out and dropped it down onto the front wheel. Progress

MikeD
On the main road

Post by MikeD »

Wanting to tackle the new wiring harness, but need to get it all together first, I only want to do that 1x. Probably going to be giving this guy most of my business: http://easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

Next up is installing the rear sets while I wait for pipes to come in sometime before the 22nd. Ordered the pipes without the hangers welded on, but included in the shipment. The GT pipes attach to the passenger footpeg hanger which is going to disappear from the frame, so I'll need to look into how to best hang them once they arrive.

Cardboard and wood rearset mount mock ups until then.

Looking forward, I'm going to be adding some rigidity to the frame as well, so I can mockup the bracing with cardboard to make templates.

A and D (as I recall) are in there stock, so I'm going to be adding B, C and E. E is somewhat handled already by the rear pass peg extensions, so I need to see what work, if any, I need to do there

good progress so far this week on the GT, trying to keep the momentum going.

Early in the week I sold a kart chassis and then used the money to buy a way cheap/way beat chinese 150cc (gy6) motobike/scooter that a local guy was selling on FB. I "need" a pit bike for next year, and now the trusty Tank Urban Sporty can be thrashed around at the track without a worry. Most of the body work is broken/cracked and its being held together (not so well) with superglue. As I take the bodywork off to get to the wiring various superglued pieces just fall onto the garage floor. Its like a leper losing its skin. Going to patch it all back together again with epoxy and zipties, it'll look like frankenstein when its done.

So the scooter wasn't running, the seller had zero clue about how to fix it and just wanted it gone. So I drug it home and right to work on it. Suck, bang, blow baby. Its got compression? check. Spark? hmmm nope. After a bunch of multimeter work and Youtube videos on spark problems I'm thinking it's an intermittent flywheel pickup that I'm chasing. Had it working but now no spark again. Eff. CV carb was all fouled up, the slider was suck firm so I tore it out and blew it all out. Slide is all nice and slippery now, jets are opened back up. Verified the fuel pump is pumping. Need to log another 30 minutes and check for wiring issues between flywheel pickup and CDI before pronouncing verdict against the $6 pickup. Amazing how inexpensive the parts are for these things. $8 for a CDI, $20 stators, $5 ign coils with wire... Makes sense to drop less than $40 for all new electrical system having the CDI/stator/pikcup/coil shipped to my doorstep regardless of what the current problem is.
MikeD
On the main road

Post by MikeD »

The bad news finally hit today. Been waiting on the rear tire showing up, so I was just puttering around. Since the pipes are off I said "hmm I can look up the exhausts and take a look at the cylinders and at least some of the piston, lets see how much wear..." Grabbed a flashlight and turned the motor over slowly with a wrench on the timing end of the crank. Bit of blowby on the L cyl that I can see bubbling in the rings, new rings might help there. Middle looks like a piston with 27k on it, nothing huge but nothing great.

R cylinder is seized, all sorts of fat streaks of graphite looking crap on the intake side of the cylinder wall. Puts a damper on the inaugural blast up and down the road once it's all back together. Not a huge problem, but now I'm certain that I'm left with 1 less oversize available. Was hoping to avoid a top end rebuild right away, but it would have been done anyway at some point. Meh.

On the hunt for a 520 conversion with an offset front sprocket. Trying to figure out if the front sprockets use a standard Suzuki cutout pattern to see what other models might cross over and fit the beast.
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

MikeD wrote:
On the hunt for a 520 conversion with an offset front sprocket. Trying to figure out if the front sprockets use a standard Suzuki cutout pattern to see what other models might cross over and fit the beast.
http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the older i get the faster i was