Here i go again ..

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Re: Here i go again ..

Post by Suzukidave »

Did you get the Tesi bike finished up ?
the older i get the faster i was
garry55
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 hybrids (x2) RGV500

Post by garry55 »

no Dave - realistically it won't get done in time for the show so no point wasting my time on it just yet - plus I have decided to replace the 996 motor with a copy of the original 964cc motor as I have the information and, more importantly, the parts to build one now :up:

So my time is being spent finishing the TS185 cafe racer project and moving the XR11/73 project along. Need to cut some new head plates when I get the head back (the old plates were cut for the angled plugs) - I'm also using thicker material this time. Will update the thread when there is some progress.
Garry

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I know I can stop anytime.
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Slowly .. but making good progress on combining the GT750 wiring harness with the GSXR frame and controls , relay's and Koso RX2N gauge . My son has been my wiring guy on past projects , he figures these harnesses out much easier than me :(
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Still need to wire in the left handle bar controls .. the whole thing needs to be shortened and then attached into the GT harness . Now the main switch and cut off switch on the right grip just control the main relay that has the whole power of the bike running through it and a fuse . The wiring in the picture still looks like a mess but it is really almost there , just need to be bundled and taped :D My wonderful wife lets me work on this faze of the bike in the family room as its so cold even in the garage :shock:
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I used GSXR left switch blocks on mine and split the block connector into different circuits and checked the wiring one switch at a time to work up a new wiring diagram by circuit. Smart people might be able to buy a pair of match connector blocks and wire it all in one fell swoop, but I am not that person.

The headlamp switch I wired through a relay and so was the ignition system. I wanted to use GSXR fuse blocks and some of the GSXR harness, but it was easier to wire a PC8 from Eastern Beaver into the bare bones of a GT harness and ran new cables as required before I wrapped it all.
garry55
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 hybrids (x2) RGV500

Post by garry55 »

I'd better not show you my wiring Dave........... :wink:
Garry

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I know I can stop anytime.
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

garry55 wrote:I'd better not show you my wiring Dave........... :wink:
Wait till i get it wrapped up and then i will post a follow up picture ... it will look better :roll: so far everything is working .. tail lights , brake lights and the Koso gauge . Next step is head lights Hi&Lo beam , horn and turn signals .
K.D. HART
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550, GT750

Post by K.D. HART »

Suzukidave wrote:There was a whole buildup thread on this project years ago but got deleted in the switch to the new forum but its a reeded , converted to GS750 transmission and hopeing to be FI with a microsquirt ECM and Yamaha R1 FI throttle bodies . In a 99 GSXR750 frame .
Do you have any pics or anything? I just picked up a GT750 basket case and I wouldn't mind shoe horning it into a newer bike like you did. Very curious to know how you made the motor fit the frame.
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Yep you have the basics for a start , putting the engine in the 99 GSXR frame wasnt too bad it was the engine work that was lots of fun :D . I have loads of pictures but like said in the quote the original build thread was lost .
K.D. HART
On the street

Post by K.D. HART »

Suzukidave wrote:Yep you have the basics for a start , putting the engine in the 99 GSXR frame wasnt too bad it was the engine work that was lots of fun :D . I have loads of pictures but like said in the quote the original build thread was lost .
Suzukidave,
I seen your thread was lost, that's why I quoted your post and asked for pics. It's too bad the build thread was lost. I bet it had a lot of valuable info. If you find pics of how you mounted the motor to the cradle or anything I might need to be concerned with, would you please post them on my thread.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks
K.D. HART
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Sure .. thats what we are here for :up: unless you have a well stocked bike junk yard close by ... Ebay will become your best friend and worst enemy . The big hurtle with getting a GT750 engine in a modern frame is the length of the engine , modern engines with there compact design make them several inches shorter front to back . Up gradeing the stock frame with new design front and rear ends makes this easier .. like the blue GT pictured with Suzuki RE5 gas tank ... still no easy task ( or cheap ) :shock:
K.D. HART
On the street

Post by K.D. HART »

Suzukidave wrote:Sure .. thats what we are here for :up: unless you have a well stocked bike junk yard close by ... Ebay will become your best friend and worst enemy . The big hurtle with getting a GT750 engine in a modern frame is the length of the engine , modern engines with there compact design make them several inches shorter front to back . Up gradeing the stock frame with new design front and rear ends makes this easier .. like the blue GT pictured with Suzuki RE5 gas tank ... still no easy task ( or cheap ) :shock:
I don't have a well stocked junkyard and I used up all my leftover parts for my 900 Enduro build.
Yep, Ebay has been a friend and curse to me. I try to buy from CL if I can.
I'm not scared to stick a GT750 motor in a GSXR, if the stock motor will fit in the cradle??? Or are there frame mods also??? Not going to the extreme like you. I just want to use the motor in stock form.
No fuel injection. It looks waaaay to complicated for me.

I agree with you about upgrading frames also. (The first one was a bitch) That's why I'm here asking questions.
When I mocked up my 1974 Z1 street fighter with 1995 GSXR 750 front and rear suspension I had a learning curve to say the least. I was lucky though. I was a Millwright for 20 years and love doing one off fab work.
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Going to your build with replys :up:
Suzukidave
Moto GP

Post by Suzukidave »

Yea .. tonight i got the wiring finished up and zip tied together so it doesnt look as much like a rats nest and everything works .. the engine even cranks :up: no smoking wires or blown fuses :clap: still have to wait for the first start to see if the charging system is working .