GT750 drum front end on a T500

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

titan performance
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: TS100, T200, GT250, T500, GT500, GT550, GT750, GS750

Re: GT750 drum front end on a T500

Post by titan performance »

Is it like the T500 Geoff?
A metal ring clips into the top of the gaiter, and a plastic disk which hugs the fork leg, clips into that. Not easy to find for the 500 in my experience, I ended up buying them used, from the US, at a premium.
Keeping old 2 strokes alive !
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

The bottom of part 27 (chrome trim around the bottom of the triple tree 'guide, boots') and the top of part 3 (aluminium fork outer base) have rebates that the rubber shroud fit in.
Have a look here - http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , then 1972, GT750, Forks. It'll involve a bit of farting about, but worth it - a really good site for info.
All is explained.
It might be handy to get a parts catalogue for either the 1972 550 or 750 which both had the same front end.
Of course you'll know that you should fit the shrouds with 13 serrations on the 1972 4LS forks, not the later ones with (I think) 10, or the thought police will get you. :shock:
Of course you knew , and give a toss, didn't you? :lol: A set of later model shrouds and seals will fit if the fork legs chrome is good.
If you need pics, I have a 550J in the lockup as a project to come so PM me your email addy and I'll send you pics when I get in work.

Remember TP, that this is the very early fork pair which was only used on the 550/750 first year with the 4LS wheel and is different to all the following ones, are like rocking horse sh1t and weigh as much as a small planet. I'm still undecided whether to fit the 4LS setupto my 550K as a retrograde upgrade just to pi$$ off the box tickers.
The left leg was similar on most 550 disc models (single disc) and the right leg was similar to the early models. Similar, not identical, just to make it more interesting of course. Only the 750 had twin discs of course, unless you upgraded your 550, then all bets are off and the subject for another thread!
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Fritz500
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Suzuki TS90, TS250, T500 (4), GT750

Post by Fritz500 »

titan performance wrote:Is it like the T500 Geoff?
A metal ring clips into the top of the gaiter, and a plastic disk which hugs the fork leg, clips into that. Not easy to find for the 500 in my experience, I ended up buying them used, from the US, at a premium.

TP,
The forks and triple clamps are from a GT750J - those two parts you describe are what I'm after. Considering how much this front end is costing a few more $$$ is not an issue (unless my wife finds out).

I'll keep an eye out for the bits.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Geoff
73 GT750 Ducati - 20%
72 T500J - 95%
09 Yam XVS950A
81 Yam XV920 - cafe conversion - 90%

“Anyone who believes a perpetual motion machine is impossible has no imagination; anyone who thinks it is possible has no education.” Adam Peenum
Fritz500
To the on ramp

Post by Fritz500 »

Alan H wrote:The bottom of part 27 (chrome trim around the bottom of the triple tree 'guide, boots') and the top of part 3 (aluminium fork outer base) have rebates that the rubber shroud fit in.
Have a look here - http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , then 1972, GT750, Forks.

Of course you'll know that you should fit the shrouds with 13 serrations on the 1972 4LS forks, not the later ones with (I think) 10, or the thought police will get you. :shock:

Of course you knew , and give a toss, didn't you? :lol: A set of later model shrouds and seals will fit if the fork legs chrome is good.
If you need pics, I have a 550J in the lockup as a project to come so PM me your email addy and I'll send you pics when I get in work.

Remember TP, that this is the very early fork pair which was only used on the 550/750 first year with the 4LS wheel and is different to all the following ones, are like rocking horse sh1t and weigh as much as a small planet. I'm still undecided whether to fit the 4LS setupto my 550K as a retrograde upgrade just to pi$$ off the box tickers.

Alan,
I looked at the parts diagram originally but I couldn't figure out what parts did what. Seems to be clarified now. What holds the chrome bits in place?

I'll message you my email address. Pics are a great help.

I'm not fussed what gaiters (10 or 14 serrations...) as I'm just after the better front brake and forks as the standard T500 front end is dreadful. I have laced up the 4LS brake to an 18" alloy rim with SS spokes and it looks good. Saving up a few $$ to do an alloy rim and SS spokes for the rear too. Very slow build.

Cheers

Geoff
73 GT750 Ducati - 20%
72 T500J - 95%
09 Yam XVS950A

“Anyone who believes a perpetual motion machine is impossible has no imagination; anyone who thinks it is possible has no education.” Adam Peenum
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Fritz500 wrote:What holds the chrome bits in place?

I'll message you my email address. Pics are a great help.

I'm not fussed what gaiters (10 or 14 serrations...) as I'm just after the better front brake and forks as the standard T500 front end is dreadful. I have laced up the 4LS brake to an 18" alloy rim with SS spokes and it looks good. Saving up a few $$ to do an alloy rim and SS spokes for the rear too. Very slow build.

Cheers

Geoff
The bottom of the rubber gaiter just fits over the groove at the top of the lower (aluminium) fork legs, and the top of the gaiter goes on the chrome cover that fits around the bottom of the triple tree before you fit the fork legs and pinch bolt. Above that there's a rubber, a cup that the headlamp 'ear' fits in, the headlamp ear, a cup spacer that centralises the ear and another rubber just under the top of the triple tree.
I'll get some pics later - been a bit fraught at work today - first one back after a week in Portugal, and everything seems to have turned to snot while I've been away.
The brake takes a bit of setting up initially, but when bedded in is better than the single disc and equal to the twin disc setup in my opinion. It works in the dry too.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Fritz500
To the on ramp

Post by Fritz500 »

I wasn't planning to use the headlight ear (I was going to fit aftermarket headlight supports) but if the ears form part of the structure to keep the gaiter top chrome bracket in position then I may have to rethink. T500 ears won't fit so I may have to buy GT750 ones and the whole set of fittings just to put gaiters on. Great design there Mr Suzuki!

Perhaps I'll just get a pair of fork dust caps...
73 GT750 Ducati - 20%
72 T500J - 95%
09 Yam XVS950A