Gt380 Pipe Repairs

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

jhood
On the street

Gt380 Pipe Repairs

Post by jhood »

Question regarding pipes on 1972 GT380. I am trying to restore a '72 GT380 and out of 3 bikes the pipes always seem to be scratched or dented. Does anyone know of a way to fix scratches and dents in pipes before the are re-chromed?

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
John
oldjapanesebikes
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750(Jx3,L,M,A,B),T500

Re: Gt380 Pipe Repairs

Post by oldjapanesebikes »

Perhaps take a look at this thread. I don't think there are too many easy fixes. :?
Ian

If at first you don't succeed, just get a bigger hammer !
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

There are two ways to approach this and neither is quick and there are pros and cons to both.

The first way is the way that Gordon pulled his dents by welding studs on and using a slide hammer.

The other way is to carefully slit the OEM welds and panel beat the dents out. While the pipes are apart they can also be cleaned. Have the chrome stripped before finishing them off and welding them back together. In theory the welds will look slightly lower and different. I have done it a couple of times - once on black pipes and once on chrome and I can't say that the differences from stock were noticeable.
gt-keith
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT380 & GSF650 Bandit

Post by gt-keith »

Hi,
I had a set of pipes rechromed here in the UK. The platers 'lead filled' any small dents the pipes had.
Very satisfactory results. I know it doesn't help you over there but might be worth enquiring about 'lead filling' whatever that proccess is.

See finished results in my post GT380 part II.