TR500 replica build

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

ChrisK
On the main road
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T250, GS550, TL1000S, T500 race, GSXR400 race

Re: TR500 replica build

Post by ChrisK »

Well, it's been a while since my last post but we haven't been totally idle! I now have a new motivation to finally get this rig mobile, a date with the Phillip Island circuit out of Melbourne Australia for the Island Classic at the end of January. Flights, accomodation, pit garage and shipping container are all booked, so there had better be a bike in them! My good friend and engineer Ken Lavallee, who has been primarily responsible for designing this bike, is flying direct from NY with his good lady to see his creation run, so all stops are being pulled out to get it on the track. Frame mods are almost completed. A closer ratio gearbox shaft turned up today as well as the parts for an 8 plate heavy duty clutch. I decided to ditch the stock brakes and a set of Brembo F08's will grace the front end. These need to be modified to provide spoke clearance, along with disc spacers to get the alignment right. The barrels are in to be bored to suit the new special order Wiseco single ring pistons. A cooking variety motor will be fitted to the bike to get it mobile to dial in running gear before the "bombed" motor takes pride of place.
Every step we take, it seems like there are another 10 new ones, anyway what else are we put on this planet for!
More to come in the following weeks.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Looking forward to updates.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
joolstacho
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: AS50, GS500, GT500, ex GSXR750 slabbie

Post by joolstacho »

And I'll def see you there Chris!
Jools
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

Desperately hoping that this thing will be running soon. Entries are in for the Island Classic so I need a bike under me! Unfortunately the build has just not happened as quickly as I would have liked, the guy doing the fabrication and machining work has had some more pressing priorities (like earning a living!).

This is a mock up of where we are at - don't let appearances fool you!

Zunspec4
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500R, SV1000S, TS125, Seeley T500

Post by Zunspec4 »

That's looking good Chris :up:

Pipe ground clearance using race tyres may bite you though, when you finally weld up the pipes make every effort to keep them tucked away.

Cheers Geoff

PS: Did you get the dyno chart I sent you?
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

I think we'll be OK with clearance in the final layout, we leaned it over the other day and nothing was touching, so fingers crossed. We have actually modded the frame underneath so we can tuck the pipes in a bit closer. Lot's of the fiddly stuff to do now.
I don't recall seeing any dyno chart?
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi Chris,

I PM'd you on the Classic Motorcycle Racing Forum with the dyno chart attached. I'll PM you with it on here too.

Nice bike, the front brake capabilities look powerful and well engineered. I had trouble with my single disc set-up until I fitted a beefed up calliper plate.

Cheers Geoff
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

Zunspec4 wrote:Hi Chris,

I PM'd you on the Classic Motorcycle Racing Forum with the dyno chart attached. I'll PM you with it on here too.

Nice bike, the front brake capabilities look powerful and well engineered. I had trouble with my single disc set-up until I fitted a beefed up calliper plate.

Cheers Geoff
You'll piss yourself when I tell you they are just bits of plywood as a mockup template! :lol: :lol:
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

I don't think wooden discs will last long! :roll: :lol:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

ChrisK wrote:

Cheers Geoff
You'll piss yourself when I tell you they are just bits of plywood as a mockup template! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well, I admire your attention to even mock up detail, nicely painted, and appear to be lock wired too.

Cheers Geoff
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

Zunspec4 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Well, I admire your attention to even mock up detail, nicely painted, and appear to be lock wired too.

Cheers Geoff
Well here's the real thing - don't think they are going to flex anytime soon!

And the pick up mounting plate for the Zeeltronics

Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hi Chris,

Nice work, those F/brakes look like they will provide more than sufficient power :up: What are the Maxton upgrades?

Does the Zeeltronics system come with all the necessary parts, or have you had to manufacture some bits yourself?.

Cheers Geoff
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

Nice work, those F/brakes look like they will provide more than sufficient power :up: What are the Maxton upgrades?

Does the Zeeltronics system come with all the necessary parts, or have you had to manufacture some bits yourself?.

Cheers Geoff
The forks have the GP20 cartridges in them, with rebound and compression damping adjustment and are sprung for my weight http://www.maxtonsuspension.co.uk/files/gp20.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Zeeltronics kit only has the ECU, the rotor pickups and the coils, we had to make up a backing plate and rotor (which isn't in the pic). We designed those and had them laser cut. It is a battery system powered by one of these little jobbies http://www.ellaspede.com/shop/antigravi ... ry-4-cell/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and has a neat handheld programmer, but you can also program it off a PC I believe - still to work out how to do all that!
ChrisK
On the main road

Post by ChrisK »

Well, today was the day we were supposed to fire her up. Ignition was checked and double checked, carbs jetted and adjusted, new plugs and.............. lot's of popping and banging and flames out of the pipes but she no run!

Really sounds like an ignition timing issue, like the charge is being lit as the exhaust port is open, but I have double checked all the settings on the Zeeltronics program and I'm stumped. Anyway, tomorrow I will start from scratch again.

P.S. I used a static angle of 26 degrees - I think that was about the standard TR500 angle?

If anyone has any info it would be much appreciated.
Zunspec4
Expert racer

Post by Zunspec4 »

Hello Chris,

25 degrees = 3.7mm BTDC (OK just a tad under). That is quite advanced for a race engine, depending upon CR and fuel used etc. . To be on the safe side I would recommend starting at 2.9mm BTDC/22.16 degrees and working from there and see how your engine responds on the dyno. You may well end up at your original 25 degrees but you won't hurt the engine starting from a less advanced point.
I found this handy mm BTDC to Degrees BTDC (and vice versa) calculator on the net:

http://www.torqsoft.net/piston-position.html

For the T/GT500:
Stroke = 64mm
Rod Length = 136mm
Bore = 70.5mm (the over size I am using)

Cheers Geoff