Speedometer disassembly

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

FullMoon
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '74 GT380

Speedometer disassembly

Post by FullMoon »

Hi All,

Working on re-installing wiring for a '74 GT380. Got the instrument panel disassembled. The innards are loose but can't quite figure out how to get the speedometer mechanism out of the can. There is a screw accessible through the trip reset opening. I've tried all types of contortions to no avail. Maybe the trip reset shaft needs to be removed first. Thanks for any insights.

Mitch
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Re: Speedometer disassembly

Post by dollydog »

turn it upside down and dig ALL the green stuff out that sticks the metal bottom to the white plastic casing. remove the 2 bottom screws and remove the metal bottom plate. if it won't come out then it's still stuck, so dig some more green stuff until it's loose. once the metal plate if off the inside mech will come out easily. be careful when digging the green 'glue' out as there is a notch in the white outer casing, which positions the clock face in the right position. pretty easy job when you've done a few :D
cheers, dd.
p.s. a small, sharp screwdriver is best to dig the green stuff out - but try not to stab yourself with it - it hurts. experience talking there :(
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
FullMoon
On the street

Post by FullMoon »

Thank you very much DD.

I've got the metal plate completely loose from the white casing. Hadn't yet removed the 2 bottom screws. Seems pretty obvious once you mentioned it. I did note the locating notch.

I used a semi-dull paring knife and a small screwdriver to attack the green stuff. No injuries were incurred.

Mitch
FullMoon
On the street

Post by FullMoon »

That went almost too easy. I can see where it might be a bit finicky re-installing with the same procedure.
I'm surprised about how clean the innards are. This motorcycle was more of a field find than a barn find.

Next up - gauge cover removal. I got some convex glass from eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/234454688765

Any tips or tricks to get them out without damaging the white cases? The white cases almost crumble when I look at them.

Mitch
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

You have to break the 'clear' covers out in small pieces as they are cast into a slot just below the top of the case. I'm sure I posted a 'how to' but can't find it (yet!)
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
FullMoon
On the street

Post by FullMoon »

Got the gauges put back together. I'll post a picture up later.

Wanted to share that I used the following for the trip reset knob grommet.
Mine pretty much crumbled to dust when I looked at it.

Since the Suzuki part is no longer available I started to look at other makes. Seems like Japanese bikes share a lot of components from the same suppliers - like Nippon Sieki gauges. Found a reproduction part on eBay for Yamahas. Looked pretty close so I purchased it. Turned out it worked pretty darn well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/171574274236

Mitch