Chain

General discussion about Street two-stroke Suzuki motorcycles.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Brett Kerby
On the street

Chain

Post by Brett Kerby »

Got a 73 Gt 250 and need ing a chain for sure and maybe rear sprocket as well. Where can I find these? I did see an O ring chain on Ebay for 54 bucks but was hoping for something more economical. If I decide to go with the O-ring chain will it fit without modification, have heard it required a spacer behind sprocket (small). Any help will be greatly appreciated...My current chain gets tight in one spot where slack goes from 1in to 1/4in, when I check the sprockets they look pretty good and the chain does not seem to bind up at least where I can see it. Oiling the chain helped but not enough. Also the chain is jumpy for lack of better terms, it stays on sprockets good but makes a lot of noise and is jerky when back wheel is spun?????/ What ya think just chain or are the sprocket wore funny????/ I am a stupid newb so sorry.
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

Both sprockets and chain are worn out. The jerkiness comes from the chain trying to climb out of the sprockets. You need to replace both sprockets and chain - all at once. Don't try to mix new with old. Replace all 3.
At the link I am providing, you can get the front sprocket and the chain. The rear sprocket is eluding me, but your local independent bike shop should be able to get a replacement. By a chain longer than you need and cut it to length when installing. You don't need to spend megabucks on a chain. It's not like you are producing high horsepower or major gobs of torque. O-ring chains are for cruisers. O-ring chains tend to wear out quickly if not tended to on a regular basis. What happens is grit will build up between the link plates and the o-rings and grind the o-rings away - leaving you with a sloppy assed chain. So a standard chain is more than suitable for your purpose and can be had here quite reasonably - like $20-$30. The link .................
http://www.denniskirk.com
Click on metric bikes and then chains and sprockets. You will find what you need.
Brett Kerby
On the street

Thanks

Post by Brett Kerby »

I was kinda afraid that was going to be the answer, but appreciate the response. Now for more dumb questions. My front sprocket is a 14 tooth and the rear a 41 tooth. The sprocket listed @ Dennis kirk is a 15 tooth...and is only one they have....What will that do to my bike re power/rpm/speed? And how do I figure out what length of chain and type I need? On sprocket it says I need a 525 chain, but how do I figure out length? Anybody else have a clue as to where I can find the rear sprocket????? Thanks again.....Brett
TLRam1
Road race school

Post by TLRam1 »

Terry

Maybe poker's not your game, Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest~

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 97 & 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 01 Yamaha WR250F / 03 Yamaha TTR 125L
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

If you want the correct front sprocket (14T), that is still available from Suzuki. Part number is 27511-18000. Expect to pay about $25 for it.
As for the chain, mark and count the links in your old chain and buy one at least that long or longer. It's a lot easier to remove a few extra links than it is to try to add any. Cheap insurance.