Got my RZ jetting sorted

Other makes and motorcycles of interest.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Wayne Meuir
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 GT750

Got my RZ jetting sorted

Post by Wayne Meuir »

I finally got around to re-jetting the carbs on my RZ yesterday. I installed a Y-boot intake with a K&N, TDR Reeds, and an Dyno Jet Kit. The bike is stock except for .020" over Pro-X Pistons and Chambers of unknown origin.
The Dyno Jet Kit comes with: 420 mains which is 18 sizes up from stock (stock is 230), an adjustable jet needle (the stock needle has no notches in it to change the clip position), and shims so you can adjust the needle half a notch at a time.
I had to move the clip around a couple of times before I got it right, but this thing runs like stink now. No flat spot/surging/blubbering at low throttle settings like it had before. WOT is really stout. In first for second gear when it hits the pipes, the front end gets airborne in a hurry.
I still need to do a plug chop to see if the mains are right, but it feels really good like it is, so I expect they are fine. Starts easy, idles smooth, and getting under way from a stop is smooth and easy.
This is a really fun bike to ride becsue it is so small and light and handles so well. I plan to pull the forks off and install new seals as one of them is leaking, change the steering head bearings to roller bearings, etc.

Wayne
Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Nice one Wayne. My RZ is going nowhere at the moment it's snowing again.

Mine is yellow and has Spec11 chambers. No idea who jetted it but it's clean from idle to the rev limiter - no stumbles, coughs or flat spots - just a nice step in the power curve at about 7000 which lifts teh front wheel.

My 15 year old Comp K metzlers are getting past their use by date though, but there are not many tires I like the look of now. i may have to get a set of the Metzlers.
Wayne Meuir
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 GT750

Post by Wayne Meuir »

TZ, my bike has new BT45's on it and I like them a lot. They were on the bike when I bought it, but I am running the same tire on my H1 and my Waterbuffalo, and like them a lot.
I had a guy tell me that he had early Spec II's on his bike and they looked just like mine, but I really don't know who made them.
My tach started growling up in the head yesterday. The cable is brand new, so I expect the cold just had the lube in the tach itself all gummed up, so I guess I will pull it apart and try cleaning it up and lubricating it. It seemed to work fine at low RPM, but when the power band came on, the needle just went nuts and the growling started. I have the chin fairing, but I had it off when the pic was made.

Wayne
Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
GT Tim
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by GT Tim »

I have RZ envy, I always wanted one to go with my RD, kind of a Yamaha bookends - historical deal. Sound weird?

An RD400F Daytona Special is on my lust list too...
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

I had a yellow KRS RZ350 brand new in 1984. I wish to heaven that I had never sold it. Big mistake.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........