Archived Posts

Other makes and motorcycles of interest.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I hope it's really working! :lol: :lol:

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Yep, I had the same feeling - but 40 miles and a week later and it still checks out on the mulitmeter, so I'm calling it fixed - a fellow on another forum said this, I thought it was interesting enough to repost.

"You may have fixed it with the battery charger incident. I seem to remember something called "flashing the field" that DC generators sometimes require. Apparently DC generators need to have some residual magnetism in order to start producing power, and if they set long enough this can get too low. The solution is to use a jumper from the battery to momentarily energize the F terminal on the generator. This provides enough magnetism for the generator to work. I don't know if that is what you did, but it might be the explanation. "
Admin
Supreme UFOB

My twin GT250's

Post by Admin »

Hey Guys ! I've been lurking for awhile and thought I might post a few of my bikes. I read your posts often.

If your ever north of Toronto you can see me zipping around town on my GT250's

This is my Black 76 RD400. I think it's the rarest color. We ride it to the pub on Sundays. Still only has about 4000 miles on it.

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Nice bikes. I have two T20's. I wish one of them looked as good as those.

Wayne
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Nice

Post by Admin »

Mine was a much rattier version of the gold one you have there before I went and screwed it all up! Pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/krwalsh/Motorcycles
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Very nice bikes; thanks for posting the pics.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Nice transformation Kevin ! In High School, I had a new RD400 and my buddy Tony had a 74 GT250. He was such a better rider than me, if the road was not perfectly straight I couldn't keep up. My blue 74 was found in perfect conditon with only 1900 miles on it, but the Candy Gold was a $300.00 basket case that I sunk a bunch of money into. I have enough spare parts now to keep them running for decades. I found an NOS tank and could not believe how the Candy Gold paint had faded in the sun after 30 years. So I had to buy NOS side covers from Paul Miller to match.

Thanks everyone for your nice words.

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

those look great. where abouts north of TO if you dont mind me askin? i was living at CFB Borden for 5 months but im back at home now.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

vince69007 wrote:those look great. where abouts north of TO if you dont mind me askin? i was living at CFB Borden for 5 months but im back at home now.
Hey Vince

Richmond Hill, just 8km north of T.O. Right up Yonge St. The traffic is murder around my area now. I had friends at CFB Borden in the 80's. Rode my bike there many times for the free beer. That was a long time ago though. What town are you in ? We have a new Suzuki shop by work in Mississauga called "Envy Rides". Just open last month.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Sun Fading

Post by Admin »

Yeah, the orange/gold sure didn't last in the sun. If you look at the "before" pictures, the top of my tank is a very pale yellow. I've never seen one that dark orange, but that must be very close to the original color. In the picture you have there it is pretty evident that it fades quite a bit.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Include Me Out

Post by Admin »

I've got an 370 Bultaco with a "grandfathered" street license here in WA.
Been watching e-bay on a light bucket and speedo, since my lighting was long ago removed for off-road (as with most Bul's). I put on a dummy light using a bucket and bulb from a Yammie IT and brackets from a Honda which looks pretty good - wired it to 4 AA batteries which lasts an hour or so (mainly to avoid another "equipment ticket")

Anyway, I thought it would be nice to have the legit light, so I was looking at this e-bay item - used but not abused - (there has to be plenty of them around, since most were taken off) thought it would be worth a few bucks.

To make a long story short, it just sold for $766.00.

I guess I'm out of touch with reality. :oops:

Ed

GT550A
71 Norton Commando
370 Bul Frontera
Bunch of Other Crap
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

thats awesome drew. i live in petawawa, i was in borden for training im now a qualified army mechanic. lots of good places to drink beer in barrie haha
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

You sure that wan't an H2 light? :lol: :lol:

I'm restoring an H2 and it is about to break me. Everything I need costs about 4 times what it did for the Waterbuffalo I did last year, ahnd with the exception of consumables and rubber parts, the only things I was missing was the air box and turn signals/brackets.

Believe me, I feel your pain. There are a few things I would like that I am just going to have to use the old ones even though they are not perfect.

Wayne
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I'd use a headlight from almost any small dirtbike on the Bul. It has lighting coils doesn't it?

As to the H2; Kaw prices are just stupid, and that's why I'll probably never own another one. I can't justify it.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

rngdng wrote: As to the H2; Kaw prices are just stupid, and that's why I'll probably never own another one. I can't justify it.

Lane
That's the reason my Kaws look the way they do. I'll make the presentable, but I don't care about originality. Originality costs too much.