Archived Posts

Other makes and motorcycles of interest.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

MAC makes a four-into-one, but -- as you know -- a lot of people say that MAC stands for 'Make Another Choice'.

There's a four-into-two that was made in the Seventies that's terrific. Some jerk has one on eBay, and you should SEE what he wants for it.

(Oops! That would be me).

I'm selling my CB350F this spring. It has the original exhaust on it. Not show quality, but functional, and not bad looking.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Actually, Barry, one of the pipes is probably worth close to whatever you paid for the whole bike. IIRC, the #2 (or #3---I can never remember which) pipe has been unobtainium since about 1980 when the stamping die at Sankei (the guys that make most of Honda's exhausts) got broken.
They never fixed/replaced that die and thus that pipe has been NLA for a lonnnggggg time. Resto guys are constantly searching for a good/rechromable one.
As rngdng says, you could probably get serious money for the pipes alone.
Then you could put a MAC 4 into 1 on it and make a nice cafe bike out of it.
My .02.....
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Actually both the CB750 and CB550 pipes are available new from Honda. The 550 pipes sell for about $700 a set. See link below:

http://www.cmsnl.com/products/muffler-s ... 00kit0139/
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Thanks for that, Frank. I stand corrected. Of course I'll blame it on old Mr Alzheimer. Maybe it was the 350F for which the die broke ???
Regardless, it's interesting to see that they are now making the 550 pipe set.
I'm glad to see that someone somewhere has finally realized that there is money to be made selling this stuff. I guess the repop Z1 pipes that have probably sold ~100 sets or so (and those 15 sets of H2 mufflers that went for serious money and sold out in no time) convinced someone that they should go ahead with replacements for the 550.
The 750 pipes have been available through Honda for quite awhile now....
both the "300" series and the "341" series.
I'm just glad to see that this stuff is becoming available....finally.
What's next ?? J/K Buffalo mufflers ??? Now that would REALLY be something.
Maybe outboard mufflers/headers for 550's ??? WoooHoooo !!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Yes, Honda's factory CB350F pipes are NLA - that must be the molds that were run over by a Hyster. :lol: There is currently available one aftermarket 4 into 4 set that attaches (under the tranny) to the stock headers - made by MIVV. There's also a 4 into 2 system made by SATO. Of course there's the MAC and Kerker 4 into 1 ... all for the CB350F.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

husson73 wrote: …you can find Basso four exhausts but they don't look like the genuines ones.
Could you possibly find a website for the Basso’s and post it here? I'd really like to find another source for the 4 into 4 pipes for my CB350F.

Gordon wrote: MAC makes a four-into-one, but -- as you know -- a lot of people say that MAC stands for 'Make Another Choice'.

There's a four-into-two that was made in the Seventies that's terrific. Some jerk has one on eBay, and you should SEE what he wants for it.

(Oops! That would be me).

I'm selling my CB350F this spring. It has the original exhaust on it. Not show quality, but functional, and not bad looking.
I got a used chrome MAC for mine and so far I like it – no discoloring or chipping. :o

I saw that system your selling (you’ll be able to retire when that sells!) :lol:

How about a pic of Vincennes and how did you come up with that name? :)
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I'm afraid that I don't have a decent pic at the moment. I will when I get it out of hibernation, mainly because I'm going to sell it this spring.

The name 'Vincennes' comes from the fact that I mentally tag each bike by the name of the city or town where I bought it, in this case, Vincennes, Indiana.

It's an interesting bike. It's a 'ten'footer', i.e., from ten feet it looks very good, something like some women that I used to date. I managed to get a full set of pipes together after three years (and four sets of pipes!).

While I am as far from superstitious that you'll find, there is something about this bike. I bought during a December, and trailered it home, but was so tired that I left it on the trailer the next day, when I had to go to southern Kentucky for an enduro bike that I had gotten for my brother for Christmas. My truck at the time, a venerable GMC, ate its fuel pump about thirty miles from home, so I detrailered the Honda, and rode it home, damn near freezing my nipples off. Since then, it has nearly run out of gas -- my fault, since it was running off the reserve until I rebuilt the fuel cock -- but got me home by riding it standing on the footpegs, leaning the bike on its left side. It has never failed to start, and I even believe that it would start if I pointed at the key. The gentleman that I bought it from explained that one of the carb floats was leaky, so it wouldn't idle properly, and he was right -- it idles a bit high. But I haven't touched the carbs. It would be bad karma or something. Some bikes are evil by nature; they can die and strand you in the back end of 'Deliverance' country, or pick up a nail in the tire the only time that you fail to carry tire irons. But not this one; it has always gotten me home, and as an extra attraction, is a genuine ball to ride. It has a sweet soul.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Adam from NJ's Honda collection

Post by Admin »

When I was up north I ran into an old friend who has this awsome honda dirt bike collection. Adam has 45 acres to ride them on :grin:

Ed
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I'll take the TL250 and the Elsinore 250 please........

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

71 BULTACO pursang

Post by Admin »

This bike belongs to my friend Steve from NJ. He has owned it since 79 :grin:

Ed
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Something how what you thought they looked like and take another look 30 + years later, the 2 don't match. :lol:

That was a plain simple machine, not much to it.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

My neighbor used to race a 360 Astro. I thought it was the coolest looking thing on two wheels!

I would go over to the ad hock track they cut out of the field behind their house, along with the other neighbohood boy racers on GT80's, JT1's, XR75's, CT70's and TS75's, and watch him practice. Afterwards when he was done practicing, we would go out and try powersliding (minus the steel shoe).

Usually we would just end up running each other over and crashing in a big heap laughing our ass off!!!

Those were the days!!! Wish I could go back to that time, life was much simpler then....
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

The mid-sixties Bultaco engines are some of the nicest looking engines in my opinion. The Metralla in particular is just gorgeous. Here's three of them posted by "Parks" on the caferacer.net board in a discussion on clip-ons versus clubmans. I know he owns the red one although I'm not sure if the rest are his.

I love my Suzukis but if I ever came across a "barn fresh" (read super cheap) Metralla, I'd buy it!

Jim
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I love Bultacos, but have never owned one.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Damn those are nice looking bikes... another one to add to the list....