Archived Posts

Other makes and motorcycles of interest.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

360 Astro (closer), 250 Astro (behind)

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Ahhh......Latino bikes.....a lot like Latino women....great to ride....but seriously high maintenance !!!!
:lol: :lol:
I had a thrash on a Metralla TS back in the day. Loud, fast and handled like it was on rails.
I'd probably stuff it in a hedge if I tried to ride it these days.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Got it running but it's a dog, will hardly pull, won't rev and makes no power, had to clutch it to get up my steep driveway. Anything I should check, I ordered a tune-up kit today from ebay, points are burnt up, no telling how long they were in it. I will check compression when I replace plugs and check valve clearance, hope it doesn't have a bad valve.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Ensure the spark plug wire end caps are making a good connection at the wire coming from the coil (i.e., it needs to be screwed tightly into the spark plug wire). If not I might consider unscrewing the cap and snipping a bit off the end of the wire in order to get a good connection for the cap.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

All it needed was a tuneup, put in new points plugs & condensers and set the timing, runs like a top now. I knew when it fired it was going to be OK, smoked a little until it burnt out the cobwebs and rotten gas smell, rode it briefly and it will rev to redline now. I got to get the title changed over but tomorrow's Good Friday so no doubt the courthouse is closed.
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

COOL! I'm glad it's working now. They are tough engines.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Good job! Always nice to have one back on the road!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I wouldn't exactly call it back on the road. I went for a spin, the clutch slips like a SOB, you can pop the clutch and it will not catch until you let off the gas. The stator is dead, battery goes down and won't start with the starter. I checked it by the Clymer manual and the stator reads almost nothing on the ohm meter, and the frigging head gasket leaks oil, they about all do when they are this old, maybe it will swell up. I have a bunch of different clutch springs, I think I will take it apart and check it out and replace the 4 old springs with something stronger, a 550 with only 4 springs. :( :( :x :x
Admin
Supreme UFOB

72 Yamaha CS5 Not Charging, not sure why....

Post by Admin »

My 72 Yamaha 200 cc two stroke piston port has had the charge light on it since I got it. I put new brushes in the generator and it didn't help anything.

The generator is putting out 7 volts at idle and 10 volts at 4,000 rpms so its not going to charge up a 12 volt battery.

I'm going to go through and clean connections, etc, any other good places to look?

Thanks! Arne
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Does the battery go even more dead between runs? I'd try testing the rectifier.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

I'll have to put the rectifier through the paces, it does seem to drain the battery pretty quick; good thought.

I think its just dirty connections through those 36 year old isolater screws in the dynamo..... I've been going through it isolating things and it seems to improve.

I'm going to take it all apart and put it back together and see how it looks then.

Thanks - Arne
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Field coil was dead, still need to work on the clutch but it looks good, check it out, pretty clean, I only have about $450 in it.

Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

You can make a few bucks off that one, if you choose to sell it. It's a very decent-looking bike.

Lane
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

That's a nice bike!
Admin
Supreme UFOB

Post by Admin »

Well, I still don't know what it was but its working now.

I isolated the generator from the regulator, and it wasn't putting out enough juice, so I took stuff apart and cleaned everything, individual compenents tested ok on the multimeter; but when it went back together it still did the same thing (not charge).

So I started putzing with stuff, and hit the 2 amp 12 volt battery charger to the 'in' side of the voltage regulator just to see if the charge light went off - the charge light went off and stayed off.

I thought I burned the bulb out, swore and the whole bit, but when I hit the throttle the headlight got brighter and when I turned the motor off the charge light came back on again.

Good deal! That one was waiting to go to a new home so I can get to the next one.

Thanks for the idea about the regulator Lane, I don't know if I would've hit the battery charger to it if you hadn't mentioned it.

Arne