Should I buy?

Other makes and motorcycles of interest.

Moderators: diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan, oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK

L7Mike
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 TS250A

Should I buy?

Post by L7Mike »

I just want some quick opinions from you guys, its not a two stroke bike, but i have been presented an opportunity while i was discussing my TS250. I have the opportunity to purchase a very early "Suzuki 1100". I word it this way because i cant get the guy to send me pictures of it and he only calls it "the Suzuki 1100". I BELIEVE he thinks it is a '79. Which doesnt leave many possible options for what it could be, which im assuming is the first model of the GS1100's.

He tells me it is in great shape, been sitting for 2 or 3 years now under a tarp though. I guess this is the bike that almost killed him 2 or 3 years ago, but he tells me "the front fairing fell off and the points cover is missing" other than that it sounds like it is ready to ride otherwise.

As i havent seen the bike to actually know anything about it yet, im assuming its a first, or at least very early, model of the 1100's.

It is currently my plan to go look at it this week, cash in hand. Crossing my fingers it is what i think it is, and not anymore broken or road rashed than it sounds.

Thoughts and opinions? Tips?
L7Mike
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 TS250A

Re: Should I buy?

Post by L7Mike »

Went and looked today, its a '79 GS1000. Couple broken bits but not too bad. Little over 30k miles. If anyone has anything to say other than unsolicited technical support, thatd be cool, but i doubt yall do.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 2 x GT550s GT750B, GS750B

Post by Alan H »

A couple of mates have early 1100 Katanas. Very quick in their day.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
rodent
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: '73 GT750

Post by rodent »

L7Mike wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:28 pm Went and looked today, its a '79 GS1000. Couple broken bits but not too bad. Little over 30k miles. If anyone has anything to say other than unsolicited technical support, thatd be cool, but i doubt yall do.
If it's priced right I'd be all over it like white on rice 8)
Willie
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750, GS1100E, 650 Burgman

Post by Willie »

I second that emotion!
I've had several GS1000's and GS1100's and, depending upon the price and your budget, I'd grab it.
PM me for some great tips on addressing the charging system and ignition system.
Good luck!
I've been everywhere from Bangor all the way to mighty Maine!