Quick intro as a new membership

Interesting stories of you and a Suzuki you have owned.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

_GMZ91_
Still in the Driveway
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Quick intro as a new membership

Post by _GMZ91_ »

Hi everybody, I'm new on this forum so I'll introduce myself.
I'm living in the south of France, and of course I own a 2 stroke Suzuki which is a GT750 Model A from 1976.
My 2 stroke experience began in 1973 with my brother's belgium Flandria Record 49cc.
I managed the 4 gear engine with a 20mm carburator up to a point the engine overrevved on 4th gear while having difficulties with the clutch to start on 1st gear...
I replaced it by a Minarelli P6 with a 22mm carburator and and exhaust of my own with stunning results !
When I was 16 I bought a Yamaha 125 AS3, the best in this category by that time, but it finished wrecked by a car turning to its left without seeing me.
With not enough money to replace it I got a Motobecane 125 LT2 by far better in handling but with a sensitive gear box.
I had to improve the engine by tuning the pistons and the ignition to get more revs and follow the Yamaha 125 RD my friends had.
When I was 18 the 4 stroke area began with a Honda 450 Mk V, an other world with fuzzy handling but more adapted to long rides.
Now I'm retired and I wanted to save one of the fabulous Suzuki GT750 so I got one in pretty good condition.
But I must say handling, as brakes, comfort and power are so weak compared to my Kawa ZX12-R that I must use the Kettle only for old bicycles meetings and when I'm in the appropriate mood...
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Re: Quick intro as a new membership

Post by Alan H »

Welcome to the forum.
Don't be too hard on the GT750, we tour on ours - B model - and have been to Ireland a couple of times as well as many other places in the UK. The more you ride it, the better it gets.
You can't compare to a modern bike - remember they were designed over 50 years ago! They do respond to brake, tyre and suspension upgrades that look 'period' though.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12384&p=160563&hilit=Hippo#p160563
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
grumps
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT 380, 1977 (now sold)

Post by grumps »

Welcome to the forum.
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorcycles and beer!
slosher
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750L & GT550L T140V & TL1000 97s

Post by slosher »

Hello and welcome enjoy the Kettle they are a great crowd puller.
Yeh you can't really compare the brakes on Kettles to modern bikes.
My Campagnolo center pull brakes were better on my late sixties Raleigh bike than the Kettle :lol:

Cheers Dave
Evans Ward
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 76 GT750, 72 H2 750, 84 RZ350

Post by Evans Ward »

Welcome from another GT750A owner! :up: You can improve brakes, suspension, and ignition if you aren’t a purist. Personally, I prefer a stock looking vintage bike with all of the improvements mentioned. For ignition, I recommend Accent as it is reliable and easy to install. Good group here with great collective knowledge! :twisted:
1976 Suzuki GT750 (Maui Blue), 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV (Candytone Blue), 1984 Yamaha RZ350 (KRR- Yellow/ Black).