1974 GT750 Airbox Chrome Covers Emergency

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

ilbikes
On the main road

1974 GT750 Airbox Chrome Covers Emergency

Post by ilbikes »

Guys, I'm a little desperate. I need some of the chrome side covers for the 1974 GT750. Mine were chromed, but they have left sanding marks in them and I am just not happy with the results. I'd like to get a nice set for re-chrome so I can send out to a new chromer. This time they will go to Brown's.

I would like to get these sent off to Browns and back before Barbers show on the 10th of October.

The 1975~1977 models selling new on eBay will not work - these have to be 1974 specific.

Thanks in advance.

Gordon
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

What's so special about the 74's? I thought all were the same from 74 thru 77.
At any rate you might want to contact Paul Miller for a NOS set.

Email: vintagesuzuki@comcast.net

Phone: (860) 828-1220. Chances are he will have what you are looking for, and there will be no need to re chrome as they will be new. Before 10 am is the best time to reach him by phone. That's Maryland time.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left.

1978 GS1000C
1976 GT550 ongoing money pit.
Barry S.
To the on ramp

Post by Barry S. »

The '74 model is different from the rest, good luck finding any better ones than you have.
2007 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
ilbikes
On the main road

Post by ilbikes »

Coyote, I've seen the same auctions that you have - they list them as being the same, but they are not inter-changable. I have not seen a new set on eBay that I remember. I'd certainly buy a set if I did. It's like the exhaust - I cannot find NOS anywhere for the 1974 - it's got some odd-ball parts not used anywhere else in the line-up.

Here are the differences -

In the first photo, the top cover is the 1974/L with the dimples and longer screw tabs.

In the second photo, the bottom cover is the 1974/L with the mounting tabs.

Thanks,
Gordon

rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Gordon, I'm going to the storage unit today. I think I may have a usuable set. Not sure. I have some from 74s and some from 75s.

Wait a minute. I'm pretty sure that the 74 right side had no external tabs. Get Kevin to check Pinky, it was totally original when I got it, and it has all of the odd 74 bits, EXCEPT that the crash bar is from a 75.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Lane, My all original one owner 76 had tabs on the right side, but the airbox on my 74 had no tabs on that side.

I checked through hundreds of photos last night and some of the 74s had tabs and some did not. Most of teh later bikes seem to have tabs.

Maybe the airboxes were replaced at some time. The question is are teh tabless ones 74 or the other way around?
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

I've had two completely stock, original 74s, and both had the tabless right side. From everything I've gathered, the airbox changed in 1975, but it's quite possible that the change happened before the last L models came off the line.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I had forgotten that they did that. That means that either airbox would be Ok on a 74, unless a concours judge happened to know the chassis number that the change became effective and that's unlikely.
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

Gordon , if unable to locate more covers cannot they dechrome the ones you have and give them a fill coat of copper and polish them out and then chrome them again , i would think they could get the perfect again ?
the older i get the faster i was
Suzsmokeyallan
Moto GP
Location: Mostly Barbados, sometimes Florida and western Canada

Post by Suzsmokeyallan »

To make things even more confusing the 75 to 77 boxes themselves had some styling differences. One noticeable feature was the top twin 6mm bolt mount, some had a pressed style enclosed bracket while some had a simple open u channel bracket.
Two strokes, its just that simple.

69 Suz U70
69 Suz T500
72 Suz GT750 cafe
74 Suz TS250
74 Suz GTXVR project
75 Suz RE5
75 Suz GT750
76 Suz TS400
76 Suz GT750
81 Suz GSX1100
86 Suz RG500x2
88 Hon CR500
93 Hon CBR900RR
98 Suz GSF1200x3
15 Kaw Ninja H2
ilbikes
On the main road

Post by ilbikes »

Guys, sorry to be slow getting back to you - I was out riding! I left here on Saturday all depressed because it's been raining for a week and we're in flood warnings. Me and a couple of friends loaded up headed to where the skies were not leaking serious water - Charleston beach. It was my first time since I was 16 that I'd put more than 580 miles on a bike in 24 hours. We arrived at night and out early next morning (Lane - we'd have called you if longer).

Anyway, back to covers - I spoke with Richard (great deal of help) and learned that I do in fact have the late model airbox on my bike. I called Paul Miller up this morning and he posted a NEW set to me today. You don't know how many of those things I've looked at on eBay just thinking to myself how I wished they would work on my 1974....

As Richard researched after getting my VIN, my bike is one of the last 287 1974's built (287 less than the first 1975 M model) and was manufactured in July 1974 accordin to the mfg plate, also the last month of 1974 production. It is very likely that mine did in fact come with the later M airbox as original eguipment. It turns out that Richard knows my bike and the fellow I bought it from - Don Ruff. I am happy as a pig in mud...my airbox is all cleaned and powdercoated with new rubber manifolds on all 6 holes. I don't have to buy a late model to get new covers - I'm happy.

As for re-chroming these I have, they are concave and look dented inwards. Even if the scratches were removed and copper plated - the concave problem would be there.

Thanks to all for your time and contributions - this is why this site rocks!

Regards,
Gordon

These were the only rooms on Folly Beach Saturday night without reservations - sorry no Suzukis in this photo. The manager made up for the lack of modern ammenities by asking us to park inside his patio area where we could keep an eye on the bikes just outside the room's window. These are all H brands...