I hate salt! (OT)

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

markj
To the on ramp

I hate salt! (OT)

Post by markj »

I wish they could come up with something else to coat the roads for ice prevention in the winters. Salt just eats away at everything up here. I spent the day replacing these.

I have a '98 F150 that I got a couple of years ago and the guy who owned it never washed salt of the frame during the winters here. Most cars go through this in the north east. I've done 4 complete sets of brake lines in the past few years(on different vehicles). On this truck alone I had to replace the dif. cover, brake lines, spring shackles and manifold studs(all rusted). Despite being galvanized, the doors are tailgate are also rotting from the inside bottoms. I HATE SALT. There's nothing worse than working on corroded, rusted bolts and metal.

This is the good one!
This one let loose on me. Fortunately I got it home safely.
So many Projects - So little time
Craig380
Expert racer

Post by Craig380 »

Mark, it's no consolation but we get the same in the UK .... heavy salt and grit on the roads from end of October thru to March ....

Modern cars are pretty well built and protected but it plays havoc with the chrome and tinwork on classic bikes if you're not REAL careful.

Back in the early 80s I've had chrome mudguards on Suzis rot right through in just two years.

These days I just don't take the Suzi on the road in the winter months if there is ANY dampness on the road (which means maybe one ride a month).

I also cover all the chrome in ACF-50, I have to admit I am impressed with this stuff. It looks waaaayyy too thin when you apply it (I paint it on with a 1" brush) but salt etc just doesn't get through it. I leave it all winter, wash it off in spring and the chrome is exactly as it was.
1976 GT380 - wounded by me, and sold on
2006 SV650S - killed by a patch of diesel and a kerb in Feb 2019
2017 SV650 AL7 - naked and unashamed
Jughead
This IS the real me!!!

Post by Jughead »

Yeap looks exactly like my Dads 95 F150 we even had to replace the Hangers on the frame.Along with the Shackles that let loose. :evil: I ate enough rust until I should be Immune to Tetanus Now. :lol: :lol:

If you can mix up some Motor oil with some ATF and Spray the underside of your truck it will prevent that from getting worse.The Rust should hold the Oil Pretty good for a while anyway.May have to do it a few times during the winter.
Hang me from the Tree of Shame.Damn! I forgot the Rope.
johnakay
I likes them jubblies
Suzuki 2-Strokes: bike

Post by johnakay »

Hang me from the Tree of Shame.Damn! I forgot the Rope

oh I'm sure we can help you there juggy lad ..
pass the rope lads :wink: :lol:
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

The "Tree of Shame" at the Cross Road of Time motel at Deals Gap North Carolina Image Image
the older i get the faster i was
rbond
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by rbond »

Down here we rarely need any salt. If it freezes, wait a couple of days and it will get above freezing. But we almost have high humidity 24/7, so it kinda takes the place of salt but it takes a lot longer to do the same job. But we do have one rule of thumb, don't buy a used car from up north....
jkevinlilly
My new bike is "IRIS"

Post by jkevinlilly »

I have seen that kind of rust many times, they use penty of salt around here too, especially on the fourlanes. I once had a Mazda B2000 that the frame rusted almost completely in two. I ended up having to sell it for parts since it wasn't even safe to drive...

Kevin
Everything Commeth
To He Who Waiteth
So Long As He Who Waiteth
Worketh Like Hell While He Waiteth
markj
To the on ramp

Post by markj »

I guess it's just part of life in the northern parts of the world. I was picking rust out of my ears yesterday. I had to grind the mounts off because they were heat rivited to the frame. It's such a pain in the butt. Even if they were bolted on I'd probably have to cut them off anyway.

I have a nice car that I don't drive in the winter and I have an old beater that I don't care about. Working on cars that don't see salt is a true pleasure. Anything that lives in salt just turns to crap eventually. I try to do an undercarrage, pressure hose wash throughout the winter but it's a losing battle.

I'll try Jughead's oil/ATF suggestion. I really like this truck and want to hang on to it for as long as I can. The frame has some bad spots but looks to be pretty good overall.

Thank god new brake lines are so flexible. I remember the ones from 20+ years ago and, man, they would really kink up with the slightest wrong bend. You don't even need tube benders with the new stuff.
So many Projects - So little time
TLRam1
Road race school

Post by TLRam1 »

I just realized this is from a 98 model truck, I thought it was a 70 model or some other old truck, wow that's bad stuff you have to deal with.
Terry

Maybe poker's not your game, Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest~

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 97 & 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 01 Yamaha WR250F / 03 Yamaha TTR 125L
jkevinlilly
My new bike is "IRIS"

Post by jkevinlilly »

I have a 99 Ranger that I bought 2.5 years ago that still has the original shocks on it, for a reason. I figure if I try to replace them I will nto be able to get the nuts off and have to cut at least a couple of the mounting bolts and weld new ones in their place.

Kevin
Everything Commeth
To He Who Waiteth
So Long As He Who Waiteth
Worketh Like Hell While He Waiteth