t500 fork/brake swap.

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

spike
On the main road

t500 fork/brake swap.

Post by spike »

Hi Guys,

things are getting a bit better here work-wise, so I might be able to splash a bit of money at my 69 T500. The idea was at first to just swap a GT750 4LS drum. Then I remembered the front fork wasn't the best.

I can't remember If they were moddable?

So, I'm thinking about swapping the complete 72 GT750 front end as was suggested here, but I need to know if I can modify the fork as described in the "suspension" section? (ie emulators plus welding the holes and lengthening). If not possible with the 72, can I swap the later fork legs in the 72 lower ends?

I'll be making a one-off meter bracket to mate the 69 meters to the new forks.
Will have Konis on the rear, same length as original.
spike
On the main road

Post by spike »

Surely somebody knows :lol:

I've read the entire suspension section, but I just can figure if the 72 GT750 forks need modifications or if they're OK on a T500: I've only read assumptions that they might be OK…

Anybody?
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

72/73 had different internal components in the forks. Damper rods were introduced for the L (74) model.

I'm sure that J/K forks can be reworked, but they are not as simple as later legs. You can't just fit Emulators - nowhere for them to go. And there are no damper rods to weld and machine. You would have to experiment with changing the size of the damper holes under the shuttle valve.

Or get a set of modern cartridges from an early GSXR750 and modify the forks to fit them.

A cheaper solution would be a set of later model GT forks or maybe a set of Ceriani or Betor forks 35mm or larger. They would work better and weigh less.
Suzukidave
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750 x2 97 -1200 Bandit 86 GSXR1100

Post by Suzukidave »

As small as the 500 is i would bet a single disk front end off a later model GS would work nicely http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/80-GS-55 ... ccessories
the older i get the faster i was
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Or slip in a set of later model GS500 forks and maybe that modern looking wheel from the same bike.

The nicest 500 conversion I saw was the motor dropped into a GS500 rolling chassis. That was neat- hardly period looking though.
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

Spike,

I'm going to work off the assumption that you want to keep the vintage look with the 4LS, right? Here's what I would do:

74-77 GT550 forks - shorter than the 750 units but they will accept the fork mods. They will also take a set of the inexpensive gold valve knock offs that Mikes XS sells. They are about an inch longer than the stock T500 forks but if you relace the front with an 18" alloy rim, it won't matter.
72-73 "boot guides" from a 750 or 550. These are the chrome bits that fit around the lower triple tree and the fork boot attaches to them. I'd also use the 72 GT750 fork boots.
72 GT750 triple clamps.

Relace the drum with an 18" alloy rim and stainless spokes, get the shoes relined with a good modern compound, and enjoy. You could even lace up a 17" rim instead and then fit Battlax BT-45's on the bike.

You'll have to muck about with the steering stops and finders mounts. And you may want to remove some of the disc mounts on the forks to make them look more vintage.

As mentioned, the 72 forks have a different damper rod design for both the 750 and 550. They don't accept the mods outlined in the old Cycle World magazine article. Also keep in mind the 750 forks are about 2 inches longer than the stock T500 forks. GT500 forks will fit nicely but they also have a different damper design and won't take the emulators or mods.

Jim
spike
On the main road

Post by spike »

Thanks all .
Jim, great & clear info… I'm left to wonder if the T500 fork can be modded (i remember a new set of springs made?) as this is looking like the easiest way to use the 4LS. Just buy one LH fork lower, chop the lug and assemble the whole thing. It's also by far the cheapest, verrrrry important nowadays :lol: :lol: :oops: