New 'members'.

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

New 'members'.

Post by Alan H »

We get lots of newbies registering, but never returning after that, or one post ''wanting' something and not bothering to come back to see suggestions/help.
I can sort out the dodgy emails or ip addresses - see my newbies thread -but how do we sort the non returners or wanters?
Delete them after a month of nothing?
Give me some ideas please, as there's lots of no posters or wanters that can't be bothered to say hello politely and it really gripes my pips. Is there a modern issue to saying hi?
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
TOwenR
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT 550 K, L, A and GT 750 L

Re: New 'members'.

Post by TOwenR »

Figure I'd best say "Hey" before I'm sent packing. I certainly don't want to be labeled a stalker I just like observing what's on the dance floor is all. Currently got my eyes enviously bulging out of their sockets over ways to keep my stock pipes from further disintegration.

BTW...the name is Todd and I'm from Connecticut. Machinist by trade. Been riding Suzuki 3 cyl 2 strokes for 40 years. All I currently have now is a '76 GT 550. My 750 got "confiscated" years back. Yes....confiscated. Terrible story that I'd rather not go in to if you don't mind.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Welcome Todd.
Certainly nothing wrong with a well set up 550 - I've currently got a couple and had several others in the past. Best Suzy triple for my money.
Sounds like there was some pain attached to the kettle - telling the story may help - someday......
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
TOwenR
On the street

Post by TOwenR »

As for the story, I'll at least offer that my only fault in the predicament was in keeping my '76 GT 750 at a family member's garage.

So you see, it's a family affair and I must forgive and forget { :evil: } as best I can.
TOwenR
On the street

Post by TOwenR »

And as far as my present task for the 550, I'm hoping to rebuild both of the lower pipes to the center cylinder.

Recently spat out a baffle on the highway while laying a 75 MPH smokescreen.. Nobody injured I think. Half of the baffle I retrieved from inside the pipe. Both pipes could use restoration.

My plan is to perform some surgery. Make a parallel incision down the length of each pipe, fabricate those bulkhead plate looking things, tack weld them in place while using a rod to keep them aligned, then seal the pipe back up by way of brazing. And as long as the pipes are off I'm going to replace the original and much stretched out chain. Probably give the swingarm a wiggle now that I think about it, although I've a good feeling that it's fine as I've never had any stability issue with this bike. I do recall replacing the swingarm bushing on the 750 once upon a time.

Once upon a time :evil: ....there I go again.

Edit...I'm not gong to braze the strip that I peel open. I'm going to try and just cut a piece of 18 gauge steel the length of each incision and butt weld it in place. And who cares how ugly it looks since the welds will be facing the tire side.