What's hiding among the triples?

For discussion of all general things. Keep it clean folks. No politics or religion.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

What's hiding among the triples?

Post by Alan H »

Can it be?
4 in a bed - a.jpg
4 in a bed - b.jpg
Yup - there's a 'diesel! A '77 registered GS750B.
gs1.jpg
gs2.jpg
Managed to get out on it for a 20 mile spin over the weekend, and it rides very nice. Needs a bit of 'individualising' though. I fitted an LED headlamp, and it'll get some better horns. I've got some engine bars too, but they need powder coating, and a rack so I can fit a top box for Lynn to lean on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Willie
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750, GS1100E, GS1100G

Re: What's hiding among the triples?

Post by Willie »

Beautiful stable! In addition to the horns do you have any plans on improving the charging and ignition systems? I ask because of my experience with the coil relay mod. Biggest bang for the buck I can think of. ;)
I've been everywhere from Bangor all the way to mighty Maine!
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Not currently. It starts on the button and runs well, so if it ain't broke, I don't intend trying to mend it.
All 4 are on points, and although the Gold 550J does have a misfire after about 4-5 miles, it'll get sorted.
The charging systems all work ok, the main issue with those systems is ensuring true battery voltage is getting to the regulator as a bad connection in that circuit can cause overcharging if the reg 'thinks' the battery voltage is lower than it actually is.
Motobatt AGM batteries don't like that!
Thanks for the comments. :up:
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Willie
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750, GS1100E, GS1100G

Post by Willie »

I understand your way of thinking 100%. However, I have a suggestion that I feel is worth following. Simple test. Check the voltage at each coil with the ignition turned on but the engine not running and compare it to the voltage across the battery terminals. If I were a gambling man, I'd be willing to bet that it's not the same. ;). Of the dozen or so Suzukis I've tested, only one was the same. The others were a couple of volts less.
I've been everywhere from Bangor all the way to mighty Maine!
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

There was a slight leak from one of the front calipers recently so I decided to get it sorted. I don't particularly doing calipers so took the bike to Bill Thomas bikes in Wombwell - nice guy is Steve, the owner and has several classics of his own including a GT550 ( guess where he gets his spares?!), Hippo and T500 and some british diesels.
Anyway, he stripped both calipers and there was a very small scratch on one of the pistons, which was 'just' where the seal was, so I got a couple of nice blingy stainless steel ones from Astrax along with new seals and pads and he remantled them nicely and I fetched the bike home yesterday. Runs nice and handles & brakes lovely with no leaks, so it might be having a couple of outings now.

Complete thread on Kettle Clinic here - https://www.kettleclinic.co.uk/kcforum/ ... 97#p104797
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Since I got the bike, it has had a slight incontinent leak from the sump drain plug. I 'sorted' it once with a new gasket and new sump to crankcase studs, but recently a 'weep' appeared on the plug again. There seems to be plenty of oil sumps in the US but very few here in the UK, but when the incontinence returned slightly and despite 'seeming' ok, the occasional drip kept appearing on the drain plug, so I had a word with the chap that sold it to me and he had a spare with good threads on the dp hole and a proper dp as well.
Managed to get it last week and fitted it Friday. 5 minute job*.
Just remove the exhaust, remove sump plate and clean engine/plate face, change oil filter, clean oil up off the garage floor where it missed the biscuit tin 'catcher', blast the 'new' sump plate clean and wash the aluminium oxide dust off it VERY carefully, use a smear of hylomar on the gasket and fit the plate. Nip up very carefully.
Fit sump plug with a single layer of polytetrafluoroethylene tape ;) just in case. Refit the exhaust after cleaning all the hidden bits and fill engine with 3400ml of 15w/40 mineral oil because that's what I had. Clean oil drips up again.
Start up and after it settled down to a nice (warm engine) tickover, go for a ride.
5 miles later, home and leak free. Win, thank the bejasus.

*it may have been slightly over 5 mins and there may have been profanity. Lots of profanity.......
Anybody wanna buy a leak free GS750? PM for details.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Well, incontinence sorted, new gel battery fitted and running very well, so......

Ebay item 144536135971 with lots of pretty pics. Or PM for other details.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Gone, and Hippo 'swapped' for a 550B.
I do like 550s- that's 3 in the garage now! :clap: