Fork mods

Getting your chassis to handle your blazingly fast Suzuki powerplant.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, diamondj, Suzsmokeyallan

tz375
Moto GP

Fork mods

Post by tz375 »

I've always heard good things about Race Tech emulators and I was wondering if anyone has tried Mike's XS copies.

They look like a dead copy of Race Tech's but they come in one size to suit XS650 35mm forks.

So I was thinking cheap as usual - $49 versus a whole lot more - might just work.
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

I bought a set not to long ago but have not fitted them to a set of forks yet. They look exactly like the Race Techs! You don't get spare springs with them however so you have to hope the provided springs do the trick. I can post pictures or dimensions if you like....

Mike's has an inexpensive steering damper and bracket too. Shame it's not Mikes T500 instead! :D

Jim
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

So those emulators should fit the Suzuki GT forks? Hmmmm.

Lane
If you stroke it more than twice; you're playing with it.

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

rngdng wrote:So those emulators should fit the Suzuki GT forks? Hmmmm.

Lane
The 550 & 750 forks. The GT500 forks don't have a hole up the center of the damper rod and as a result the emulators wil not work with them (unless you drill and rework the stock damper rod).

Lane, haven't you always said the GT500 forks were subpar? Now you have a good reason to dislike them! :D

Jim
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Lane,

I sure hope so. I ordered a set a couple of days ago and then thought about asking - Doing things back to front as usual...

Fortunately I have a set of L forks apart on the bench waiting for me to find the time to polish the lowers and get a set of seals, so I'll let y'all know.
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

I should have mentioned that Mike's have a lot of great stuff including all sorts of shocks and his prices are great.

That's wher I was looking at the 320mm remote reservoir shocks.
Coyote
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT550x2, GT750, GS1000

Post by Coyote »

Link?
diamondj
Road race school

Post by diamondj »

Easy-peasy:

www.mikesxs.com

Jim
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

The good news is that Mike's cartridge emulators will probably work in a GT750 ( and maybe a 500 as well)

The bad news is that they are not a straight drop in. I'll have to design a simple adapter to allow them to fit on top of the damper rods.

They are designed to fit inside the top of a damper rod, but the 750 damper is an unusual two piece design with a peened over piece of steel partially blocking the top.

I'd like to machine into the top of the rod but suspect that might damage it's integrity and I don't fancy the idea of the top pulling off when I pull a wheelie. I'd hate to see the sliders and front wheel fall off when the front comes up.
Wayne Meuir
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1976 GT750

Post by Wayne Meuir »

Rce Tech uses adapters under some of their gold valves. It is basically just a spacer that sits down on top of the damper rod and provides and place for their valve to seat and stay straight once the spring is placed on top of it.

Wayne
Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Correct.

All it needs is a simple spacer with an OD to match the damper rod (25mm), a bore to suit the emulator (16.4mm) and approximately 3mm thick.

Or in old money, 1 inch, 5/6ths and 1/8th.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Lane, haven't you always said the GT500 forks were subpar? Now you have a good reason to dislike them!

I already had a good reason.....they don't work worth a damn!

Lane

Too many bikes, too much time, ENOUGH SPACE, FINALLY! Never enough money.........
tz375
Moto GP

Post by tz375 »

Update on the fork modification to fit Cartridge emulators from Mike's XS.

Good news is that the "adapter" only has to be 1.5-1.6mm thick, so i checked all my washers and sure enough I had a couple with 24mm OD and 15mm bore. 5 minutes with a Dremmel and drum sander and they fit like a charm.

I compared them with a set of larger Race Tech emulators and they appear to be pretty much identical to the 30mm Race techs, but at one third the price. I didn't compare the spring rates or valve deflection rates, but visually, they appear to be a straight copy.
rngdng
AMA Superbike

Post by rngdng »

Very cool, indeed.

Lane

Arne
To the on ramp

Post by Arne »

Would these work for a 72 GT750 fork setup?
1954 Harley ST165 basket in the attic
1972 Suzuki GT750 project in the works
1981 Honda CB750-1000 driver
1982 Honda GL500 easy project