something to do over the holiday

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Re: something to do over the holiday

Post by dollydog »

finally got round to doing an update. engine back together for now, but need to get 2 little flanges welded for the water temperature sensors. i've got a twin digital readout temperature gauge, so basically one for each side. heads and barrels then need spraying with vht black, then hopefully the engine is done. finally completely stripped the bike down and sorted everything out for powdercoating. frame, swingarm and yokes dark blue. wheels will be white. wheels are off a suzuki en125, which are the same dimensions as a gt250. front fork legs are off a gn250 but fitted in gt250 yokes, so i can use standard clocks. had a helluva job with the rear wheel though finding odd sized bearings. gt250 rear wheel axle is 17mm, but the rear wheel on the 125 was 15mm. all changed when the wheels back from powdercoating. also had a problem with chain alignment until i fitted a gt185 sprocket carrier. now the wheel is dead centre. did i mention the rear sprocket? i couldn't get one, so had to buy a blank, which my little mate machined and drilled for me. this build has fought me all the way. luckily, i'm not one to give up. in fact the more problems, the more determined to finish it i get :D
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by dollydog »

frame, swingarm etc all off for powdercoating. hopefully i should get most, if not all of it back tomorrow. so, fingers crossed i can take some photo's and start the final rebuild. cylinder heads are at my mate's having the water temperature sender bosses welded in. managed to blag the kitchen this morning for an hour and the barrels are now sprayed. when i get the cylinder heads back they will need checking for any warpage, just to be on the safe side. then sprayed a nice gloss black to match the barrels :D
cheers, dd.
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

If anyone would like to see the full build (it does go on a bit, here & there!), then have a look here, on 2stroke forum - https://2strokeforum.com/thread/19835/w ... 50?page=23
Anyone wondering, it's Ade's version of a Water cooled 'rat' bike - without anything ratty. You'll get the picture. Please comment on either thread.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by dollydog »

and it's now running :D after a couple of chats with a well known tuner local to me he gave me a few pointers on setting up the carbs properly. only problem is the exhausts face inwards in the shed, so more than 30 seconds of running and carbon monoxide gets to me. i really need to spin her round so the exhausts are facing the doors. then i should be able to set her up properly. but the main thing is she starts and runs :D
cheers, dd.