GT250 Cafe project

Retro, Wild, Cafe, etc. The stuff only your imagination can come up with.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

Damian_74
Around the block
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 1974 GT250L, DR650, Honda CRF1000

Re: GT250 Cafe project

Post by Damian_74 »

So close......yet, so far away...

Chrome won't be till February at best - and lots of other bits in January (am away for work most of that month).

There might be a go slow on for a bit.....

Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

My little sand blaster is average at best - thought that I should start with condensate management first.

My air compressor is nicely tucked away in a relatively sound proof room, in a corner under a bench - hence I almost never drain the tank - solution......fit an auto drain valve......about $30 from eBay....

Works well - a considerable amount of water draining from it in Brisbane's sweaty +30 deg heat. There are two user adjustments, length of blow-downs and time between blow-downs. Set mine for 5 sec every 10 min.

My little blaster is the typical syphon tube style gun indicative to the cheap Chinese cabinets. Its frustrating with the stop start nature of the blasting media.

After many hours of Goggle research the best option would be fitting a metering valve (it introduces air into blasting media through a controlled orifice or valve). I ended up making a DIY version from 1 1/4" galvanized fittings but I don't think that I really saved much compared to buying the eBay versions for about $100.

Thought I would have another go at the walnut shells - still no luck - I think that they need a higher pressure and flow than my compressor can support.

As the system now uses a foot valve rather than the hand trigger, it's more comfortable - no more numb hand but as the gun and hose set up is larger, my little cabinet gets cramped.....if only my shed was bigger......never enough space!!!!!!

So I loaded up with FINE glass beads time to attacked my carbies!
Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Mikunioz delivery arrived Monday - good service and knowledgeable.

With the fine glass bead and running at about 50 psi I ended up with a slightly shiny surface, free from stains. Not as good as Vapour Blasting but not too far off it. Down side is cleaning afterwards - just when you think that you have it all clean out pops another lump of grit.

New main jet, pilot jet, Needle (Suzuki supplied), needle and seat, base gasket, floatbowl screws and O rings (Viton grab kits).

Rather happy with the way they turned out - especially considering the condition beforehand!
Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Home for a bit, plenty of eBay booty kindly collected by SWMBO.

Rivet counters - look away NOW.

Came across a NOS headlight and supports in the US in glorious chrome that I just had to have. My GT is a 9/76 which makes it a B model. They came with black headlight bowl, headlight brackets and unpainted black side covers - bit of a budget model at the end of its production
So I'm going to slightly diverge form 100% authenticity and go with what looks good.

​​Image

Spent the day on the polisher and finally finished all the cases - very happy with the result!

Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Tomorrows Project......

Fitting Kawasaki parts to the Suzuki!

Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Could not have been easier!

I was looking at the reproduction valves in eBay, had read mixed reports but then came across a post about the Kawasaki check valves. Part No. 16128-009.

From memory it was $109AUD from the local Kawasaki dealer (4 weeks ex Japan) vs $96AUD delivered from the UK for the eBay valves.

Looking at the new Kawasaki valves against the old Suzuki ones - fairly sure they are the exact same part - Suzuki never listed the valve on its own as a spare.

Fitting was easy - I did follow the instructions form the eBay valves.
https://www.1970sjapmotorbikeparts.co.u ... ctions.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Minor backward step......

The splines on the gear change shaft are worn as expected for bike of this age. I have seen a few NOS ones for sale in the past but the vendors all wanted silly money - found this one in Australia for $100.

So.........side cover and clutch back off......am confident that that will be the last time....might even tempt fate and fill up the gearbox with oil!

Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Set the timing with a dial gauge and test lamp - was surprised to find that the marks on the flywheel are near spot on - I'm not even sure what bike the flywheel and generator came off?

Everything has come to a grinding halt........sent the tank off with the side covers so the painter could match it and still waiting for the chrome (he was very vague about finish date).

Remaining items....

Cleaning up the dash best I can - there is another 2nd hand set on it's way from the US that appears to be in better condition.
Waiting for one of the bushings for the front brake line before I can bleed it
Self locking nuts for engine bolts still on order.
Mirrors should be in at Suzuki this week
Painter at the end of the week with some luck???

Might even try to give it a start when the tank comes back!

Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

The regulator rectifier set up on the 70's Jap bikes was sad at best - actually the entire electrical system is sad but still better that what was on offer from the British - LUCAS (AKA prince of darkness)!

Found a cheap 2 phase RR on eBay. Had it wired on on the 74L when it was running, so it and the entire loom is now fitted to the 77B. Decided a little bracket was needed, it's tucked up under the seat. Should still get plenty of cooling air and is well hidden to keep the rivet counters happy.

Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

All the Fitter and Turners turn away now!

Committed a lathe crime today - turned timber on a metal lathe - I promise to clean and lubricate all the ways.

Needed some way of holding the bezel ring in shape as I opened the gauge. Trying to make a half decent set from two.
Lump of hard wood machined to size, lined with felt - worked well enough.

The gauges aren't perfect - but funds are starting to run out so it will have to do!
sbaugz
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: T500, S32-2, GT185

Post by sbaugz »

Looks great!
Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

It's Alive!

Started fourth kick (after I turned on the kill switch).

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-TJG ... N5-640.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clearing the Mozzies from the neighbourhood.

LOTS of smoke - I did have 30:1 premix, oil pump on max and generous amounts of assembly oil!

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cBz ... qH-640.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Damian_74 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

Painter came back with the colour matched side panels - he did a Lovely job!

Now just waiting on the chrome, then I can take it for a test and tune (clear the oil).

Madbuffalo
To the on ramp
Suzuki 2-Strokes: GT750

Post by Madbuffalo »

Looks fantastic!
No really... it's supposed to smoke.

1974 Suzuki Nomad 340
1975 Suzuki GT750 Waterbuffalo
2018 Kawasaki Z900rs
Damian_74
Around the block

Post by Damian_74 »

It's getting closer to the door - nervous transfer to from the fixed to lift bench!