Gt185 removing stator from crank

Photos and progress of your restorations, even bikes you had but no longer own.

Moderators: oldjapanesebikes, H2RICK, Suzsmokeyallan

dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate
Suzuki 2-Strokes: several gt250 ramairs

Re: Gt185 removing stator from crank

Post by dollydog »

and if you bugger the barrels up when porting them, i've got a refurbed pair doing nowt :D oh yes, and a complete engine :D
cheers, dd.
GTS250 road registered. TS250 engine, Ramair frame.
GT250 big bang road registered. Both pistons fire the same time. USD forks.
GT285 road registered. Overbored - 58mm and TS125 +2 pistons fitted.
GT10 road registered. '65 T10 engine, GT250 frame.
Ponds
On the street
Suzuki 2-Strokes: Gt125/185 SV650X S1000rr

Post by Ponds »

dollydog wrote:and if you bugger the barrels up when porting them, i've got a refurbed pair doing nowt :D oh yes, and a complete engine :D
cheers, dd.
PM sent! I’ve not managed to remove the stator despite struggling with it. I think I need a superfine thread on that 10mm bolt, nothing I’ve tried so far will engage.
A spare engine will see me right I think, there are so many issues with what I have that a build of the 2 would be ideal.
I have found somebody who can rebuild the crank now, but until I know I can see the engine through the rest of it will have to wait.
Also, heretical I imagine, but there must be a front end swap from something more modern that will go on? I’m not interested in originality, I want something to use and those1970’s brakes are truly terrifying, esp in the wet. And the forks on mine are also yet another ruined item!
Anyone any ideas? Single disc, modernish forks, similar geometry. GN250 maybe?
Alan H
Moto GP
Suzuki 2-Strokes: 4 x GT550s - J, M, A, B.

Post by Alan H »

Like this you mean~
(Clicky Linky)
My mate's take on a GT200/SB200 hybrid. Remember that a GT200 is basically an upgraded SB with 5 gears.
Note the colours and you'll understand the name on the tank.........

At Grampian Engineering (Another clicky linky), they completely strip and rebuild a GT185 crank while you nip down the road and have a breakfast. Good prices too. They also do T500 cranks and triples as well.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
Ponds
On the street

Post by Ponds »

Alan H wrote:Like this you mean~
(Clicky Linky)
My mate's take on a GT200/SB200 hybrid. Remember that a GT200 is basically an upgraded SB with 5 gears.
Note the colours and you'll understand the name on the tank.........

At Grampian Engineering (Another clicky linky), they completely strip and rebuild a GT185 crank while you nip down the road and have a breakfast. Good prices too. They also do T500 cranks and triples as well.
That looks useful and fun, Put some ace bars on it, a pair of expansions and it’ll look a bit like the crayon drawing I have up in the garage to guide me through the rebuild I’m doing!
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by dollydog »

pm sent. and i'm sure you mean rotor removal, not stator :D
cheers, dd.
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by dollydog »

just checked the thread in the end of the rotor and it's an m10 x 1.25 thread. same size and thread as the bolts that hold your brake caliper on. to remove the rotor you will need a bolt with at least 30mm of thread to reach the end of the crank and start pushing the rotor off :up:
cheers, dd.
Ponds
On the street

Post by Ponds »

dollydog wrote:just checked the thread in the end of the rotor and it's an m10 x 1.25 thread. same size and thread as the bolts that hold your brake caliper on. to remove the rotor you will need a bolt with at least 30mm of thread to reach the end of the crank and start pushing the rotor off :up:
cheers, dd.
Excellent tip! I’ve rushed out to the garage and whipped off the Caliper bolt....looked promising, but it just won’t engage with the thread no matter how much I try. It looks and feels too big. There’s plenty of thread though it does look a little stressed..
PM sent!
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

I think it's the same thread as the front? wheel spindle too. I just cut a piece of 8mm round bar that I had spare, popped it in the hole in my 550 crank and used my wheel spindle to pop it off. Just 'nip' the bolt, then twat it with a rubber/wooden mallet and off it plopped! Similar technique on yours.
Last edited by Alan H on Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Think of how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of them are more stupid than that.
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by dollydog »

hi alan, i think you'll find the front wheel spindle is m12 fine. having said that, there are 3 different rotors [and probably stators] for the gt185. ignore the part numbers, they are different. the 2 i've got are both m10 fine, so it looks like his threads are knackered :(
cheers, dd.
Alan H
Moto GP

Post by Alan H »

Must admit, I haven't stripped a 185, but thought that the smaller bike would have smalker wheels and possibly a smaller spindle, it would still do. Mebbe not then, but always worth a try.
Ponds
On the street

Post by Ponds »

Alan H wrote:Must admit, I haven't stripped a 185, but thought that the smaller bike would have smalker wheels and possibly a smaller spindle, it would still do. Mebbe not then, but always worth a try.
Yep worth a try and all good ideas welcome. I’ve taken the spindle out and tried that, too big. Felt the same as the caliper bolt, in that it’s absolutely not engaging, but also not ‘snarling’ (technical speak for not fking it up) with the thread. Really frustrating! It must be a smaller size, I think DD said there are 3 different stators (the big delicate heavy thing with the copper windings whaever) this maybe a very late model just before the X5. So....
I’m confident the thread is intact though bruised, but wtf size is it??
dollydog
Yeah Man, the Interstate

Post by dollydog »

have you thought of running a bottoming tap down it? you've got about 30mm depth to play with. still reckon it's m10 fine though. perhaps some peasant has tried tightening an m10 coarse bolt into it? get it sort of back with a proper sized and threaded tap. there again, you could always [carefully] helicoil it :D
cheers, dd.
Ponds
On the street

Post by Ponds »

dollydog wrote:have you thought of running a bottoming tap down it? you've got about 30mm depth to play with. still reckon it's m10 fine though. perhaps some peasant has tried tightening an m10 coarse bolt into it? get it sort of back with a proper sized and threaded tap. there again, you could always [carefully] helicoil it :D
cheers, dd.
Yes, that’s what i’m trying to shortcut by asking, but I think I’ll have to get a good set of taps and dies to, literally, get to the bottom of it. All part of the fun though, and why I bought it in the first place!
sportston
Expert racer
Suzuki 2-Strokes: FZ50, GP100, RG125 Gamma, GT380, Bandit 1200S

Post by sportston »

Ponds wrote:All part of the fun though, and why I bought it in the first place!
Fun? That's the part when you get to ride it hard. Repairs and restoration is a PITA in my book, but if you enjoy it then that is pretty good for you. Wish I could say I felt the same. After years of working on machinery of all types I have developed an aversion to it.
I reckon when you get it finished it will be a very fun bike to ride though.
Ponds
On the street

Post by Ponds »

sportston wrote:
Ponds wrote:All part of the fun though, and why I bought it in the first place!
Fun? That's the part when you get to ride it hard. Repairs and restoration is a PITA in my book, but if you enjoy it then that is pretty good for you. Wish I could say I felt the same. After years of working on machinery of all types I have developed an aversion to it.
I reckon when you get it finished it will be a very fun bike to ride though.
I’m hoping that I can find some fun in this project at least, I haven’t really done any mechanical work for many years, but always used to enjoy it when I was skint and had no choice. There’s no time pressure with this one though, and I don’t need to get it on the road, more of a plaything in the garage for when I get bored. Due to work etc, this is going to be an 18 month project and then I’ll be retired. When that happens, I’ll be looking for another one, probably a 4 stroke unless I can find a decent X7 or a KH400.